Horticulture, Landscape, and Environmental Systems


Extension is committed to helping Nebraskans know more about creating resource- and energy-efficient rural and urban landscapes, protecting and managing water resources, properly managing insect and wildlife pests, and more.

Active in all 93 counties and at communityenvironment.unl.edu

Horticulture, Landscape, and Environmental Systems

Nebraska Extension - Cedar County has water test kits available for testing your drinking water through the Central District Health Department Lab.  They can test for coliform bacteria, fluoride, nitrate, hardness, and ph level.  Cost depends on what your testing.  Our office hours are 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday - Friday.

Bagworms are not the only issue we are seeing in evergreens. April and May are the months to apply fungicides for control of the following diseases of pine and spruce. Most fungal diseases require moisture on leaves or needles to cause an infection. Since we’ve had a few years of good moisture, there is an increase in conifer diseases. Now is the time to get up close and personal with your trees and look for symptoms to determine if fungicide use is justified.
Radon is the #1 cause of lung cancer among non-smokers. It is an oderless, naturally occurring, radioactive gas that rises through the soil and can leak into your home through unsealed cracks and holes in your foundation. Cedar County has some of the highest levels of radon in Nebraska. During the winter when your doors and window are closed is the best time to test for radon. Radon test kits are available at the Nebraska Extension Office in Cedar County.

Use moisture meters to determine when structures are dried out and ready for rebuilding.  Nebraska Extension is pleased to announce that they have moisture meters available for homeowners to borrow to determine if their structures are dried out enough and ready for rebuilding.  Renovating too soon could trap moisture in wood, leading to rotting and promoting growth of mold.  Contact the Cedar County Extension Office at 402-254-6821 to borrow a moisture meter before completing your flood renovations.  Instruction