July 20 - July 27, 2019
Carmine Splendor Okra
Contact the Nebraska Extension Office and let them know how many seed packets you need. If you do not contact your local Extension Office, seeds might not be available for you. The county office will order seeds as a county unit then distribute them to the members.
This project is open to all youth of 4-H age and it will give them the opportunity to learn about growing, harvesting, and exhibiting this unique vegetable.
The Special Gardening Project lets 4-H members try their hand at growing unusual vegetables and flowers. The project allows experienced 4-H gardeners to grow something fun, new, and different while letting those new to gardening get their feet wet in this project area.
4-H members enrolled in the Special Garden Project will:
- Receive a ‘packet’ of Carmine Splendor Okra (one packet per youth) in March/April
- Receive a newsletter about:
- Planting & growing okra
- Okra problems & insects
- Harvesting & using okra
- Be able to exhibit this unique flower at County and State Fair:
- State Fair Special Garden Project Educational Exhibit Class G-775-001
- State Fair Special Garden Project Fresh Cut Flowers or Harvested Vegetables G-775-002
- Other fun county only ways to exhibit this unique vegetable like a story, poem, or poster. Each county is different so be sure to check with your local Extension Office.
- Complete an evaluation about their growing experience: https://go.unl.edu/carminesplendorokra.
County Fair Animal Ownership Affidavits
The Adobe Acrobat Reader is required to view and print. The Adobe Acrobat Reader is a free download.
Livestock ID Sheets are due into the extension office June 1st.