NEBRASKA 4-H LEARNING EXPERIENCES 2020- Click for a list of Summer Workshops being offered!
4-H and 2020 County Fairs
As 4-H Extension Educators, we have been receiving a lot of questions related to whether families should move forward with purchasing market livestock for fair. What if we don't have a fair? What will I do with my animal? Or, the one that hurts the worst, what if I lose all my money?
Our response to all these questions is a question itself. What are you in this for? What do you hope to gain?
If you are in 4-H so that your child can learn about the effort that goes into raising livestock and producing food animal products, get the animal.
If you are in 4-H so that your child can become a better citizen or learn about goal setting or gain effective leadership skills, get the animal.
If you are in 4-H so that your child can be a step above their peers, so that they can develop a sense of belonging, mastery, independence and generosity, get the animal.
If you are in 4-H so that your child can learn about resilience, determination and never giving up hope (even in the middle of a pandemic), get the animal.
But, if you are in 4-H so that your child can sell their animal for twice what you invested in it, don't get the animal.
If you are in 4-H so that your child can bring home a big banner or a shiny trophy, don't get the animal.
If you are in 4-H so that you can boast to co-workers and friends about how your child beat out 15 other people's children to be the coveted "Grand Champion," don't get the animal.
Ultimately, if you do this thing called 4-H so that you can clean up at the county fair and earn awards, money and bragging rights, don't get the animal. Because I can't guarantee you those things this year.
We can only guarantee you that your child will learn. That, despite limited club meetings or seven days at the county fair, your child will learn the important things. The things that matter. They will fill the days of this pandemic with hope as opposed to grief. Your child will develop a relationship with their animal(s) like they never have before, because, quite frankly, it's one of the few things they have left.
Is there a chance their experience will be different this year? Yes.
Is there a chance they will lose money? Yes.
As a result, is their 4-H year a lost cause? Should they just give up?
We'll leave that up to you.
- Attributed to 4-H Extension Educators
The Otoe County 4-H program is open to all youth ages 8 to 18 as of January 1st each year. Youth ages 5, 6 or 7 years of age are eligible to participate as Clover Kids in the Otoe County 4-H program. To be eligible you need to enroll in 4-H by May 1st each year and you can do so by going to ne.4honline.com. If you need assistance enrolling check out our enrollment page.
- Animal ID Guidelines for Otoe County 4-H Animals for 2020
- Animal ID's/Affidavits - due June 15th by 4:30 p.m. All animals with an EID tag must also have a Premise ID - this needs to be put on the ID sheet. Below are the Animal ID's/Affidavits for each species:
- Beef - Breeding, Bucket Calf, Feeder Calf & Market Beef - Otoe County Beef Shows are Blow and Go
- Companion Animal
- Goats - Dairy, Market Meat, & Breeding Meat
- Sheep - Breeding & Market
- Quality Assurance Youth for the Quality Care (YQCA) of Animals - PDF - Directions - due June 15th by 4:30 p.m.
- Youth for the Quality Care of Animals - information & directions UNL link
- Animal Entries - due Monday, July 13th by 4:30 p.m. - All Animals coming to fair must complete an entry sheet, below are the individual entry sheets for each species and Clover Kids:
- Beef - pdf
- Companion Animal - pdf
- Dog - pdf
- Goats - Dairy pdf & Meat pdf
- Horse - pdf
- Poultry - pdf
- Rabbits - pdf
- Sheep - pdf
- Swine - pdf
- Clover Kids - use above entry sheets for all their animal entries
Other Livestock Resourses:
- 2019 Livestock Stalling Maps for all species
- District/State Horse Shows CANCELLED for 2020
- Sites and Dates of District 4-H Horse Shows
- Horse Resources
- Equine Webinar Series
- Horsemanship Advancement Levels
- 2019 Otoe County Fair Horse Patterns
- 2019 All Ages Trail Patterns
- 2019 Walk Trot Trail Patterns
- Horse Arena Parking
- Horse Stalling for 2019 Otoe County Fair
- Nebraska State Fair The 2019 Nebraska State Fair Livestock Entry is now open!
- Animal Identification Requirements for 2020 Nebraska 4-H State Fair & AKSARBEN -
- Certificate of Vaccination for Dogs
- Certificate of Vaccination for Cats
- 4-H Achievement Application Directions
- 4-H Achievement Application Form 1-2019
- 4-H Achievement Application Form 2-2019
- Diamond Clover
- Treasurer's Report
- Character Counts! Award Nomination Form
- 4-H Leader Excellence Nomination Form
- 4-H Club Community Pride Award Application
- Report of Club Activities
- Summer Camps offered at Halsey and Gretna, NE
- Big Red Camps
- November 10 - Achievement Celebration
- December 28 - YQCA Training Quality Assurance
- January 25 - Beef Weigh-In, First LEGO League Qualifying Tournament
- February 17 - Otoe County Air Rifle & BB Gun Clinic
- February 22 - First LEGO League Championship Tournament & Jr. Showcase
- March 7 - Horse Judging School https://animalscience.unl.edu/horse-judging-school
- March 8 - 4-H Adult/Leader Horse Advancement Level Workshop https://4h.unl.edu/horse/advancement#workshops
- March 8 - 4-H Youth/Member Horse Workshop Level 3 & 4 https://4h.unl.edu/horse/advancement#workshops
- March 28 - 4-H Companion Animal Challenge https://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal/challenge
- April 13 - YQCA Training Quality Assurance
- June 6 - Chick Days
- July 12 - 4-H Horse Stampede https://4h.unl.edu/horse/stampede
- July 12-16 - Fonner Park State 4-H Horse Expo
- July 15-16 - Otoe County Fair Air Rifle & BB Gun Shoot
- July 18 - Otoe County Fair Clean-up Day
- Otoe County 4-H Summer Workshop
- Plant Science Contest - June 10
- Tractor Safety Training dates for the Summer of 2020 - for more detailed information go to kearney.unl.edu
- May 31, 2020 - Otoe County 4-H Speech and PSA Contest using Videos and Recordings
- Thursday, May 23, 2019 - Senior Division Life Challenge Contest-More information to come
- Thursday, July 11, 2019 - Favorite Foods Revue/FFR-More information to come
- Thursday, July 11, 2019 - Junior Division Life Challenge Contest - More information to come
- Thursday, July 25, 2019 - Performing Arts Contest - More information to come
- Friday, August 9, 2019 at 12:30 p.m. - Horse Judging Contest will be held at Cass County Fair Grounds-More information to come
- Saturday, August 10, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. - Livestock Judging Contest will be held at Cass County Fair Grounds-More information to come
- Otoe County Fair Book for 2019
- Clover Kid Handbook
- Project Resource Central (Pick-A-Project)
- Otoe County Project Listing
- 4-H Yearly Calendar
- 4-H Club Listing/Contact Information
- Club Resources
Nebraska 4-H Policy Handbook
Using the 4-H Name & Emblem Guidelines
- 4-H Manuals - can be purchased at Otoe Extension Office or through UNL Marketplace
- 4-H Mall to purchase 4-H items directly
- Community Service Opportunities
- Find the latest editions of our Tips on Tap Newsletter and the Wednesday What Nots on our News page.
- Members for 2018/2019
- The $15 Challenge Project Report
- 4-H Volunteer Sign Up Sheet for Otoe County Fair
- 2019 Photography Data Tags - Unit I - Unit 2 - Unit 3
- How to Prepare Photographs for 4-H Fair Exhibitor
- Worksheet for Outstanding Exhibitor 4-H Agricultural Miscelolaneous
- Worksheet for Outstanding Exhibitor Clothing and Textiles
- Worksheet for Outstanding Exhibitor Food and Nutrition
- Worksheet for Outstanding Exhibitor Home Enviornment
- 4-H Speciality Food Auction 2019