Pawnee County Extension Office
P.O. Box 391
625 6th Street
Pawnee City, NE 68420
Phone: (402) 852-2970
Fax: (402) 852-2970
Areas of focus: 4-H Youth Development & STEM
NEBRASKA EXTENSION - PAWNEE COUNTY
OFFICE MANAGER POSITION DESCRIPTION
DEPARTMENT: Nebraska Extension – Pawnee County
The Office Manager is responsible for maintaining the efficient operation of the Nebraska Extension Office in Pawnee County through the performance of administrative and clerical support functions requiring a professional and helpful interaction with staff and clientele while maintaining a high level of confidentiality and adherence to federal, state, university, and county program guidelines.
SUPERVISION/REPORTING: This position is supervised by the University of Nebraska Extension Unit Leader and reports to both the Unit Leader and the Pawnee County Extension Board.
- High School Graduate or equivalent
- At least two years of experience and/or an Associate degree in business, office management, or related field
- Highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to work both independently and as a team member
- Capability to solve problems proactively
- Ability to manage time effectively and multitask
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Outstanding people skills and a positive customer service attitude
- Relate well to both youth and adults
- Able to work nights and weekends when necessary
- Ability to utilize required knowledge in the accomplishment of required tasks
- Computer skills: word processing, desktop publishing, PowerPoint, spreadsheet, database management, web page development, electronic communications
- Understanding of the mission and purpose of UNL Extension
- General knowledge of the 4-H youth development program, agriculture production, horticulture, and home environment.
- Knowledge of and experience with the following computer programs: Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Word), electronic financial management (ex. Quicken), database programs (ex. 4-H Online, Show Works), web browser (ex. Firefox, Chrome), e-mail (ex. Microsoft Outlook).
- Knowledge of and experience with bookkeeping and financial management.
- Experience with using general office equipment: computer, photocopier/printer/scanner/fax, LCD projector, multi-line telephone, etc.
- Ability to research and locate university publications.
- Ability to proofread and edit office communications.
- Prepare monthly and annual financial reports
- Track monthly tax account expenditures and revolving account transactions
- Prepare and submit claims to County Commissioners
- Meet the accounting procedures and audit requirements of Pawnee County and the University of Nebraska-Lincoln
- Draft tax budget in partnership with the Extension Board members.
- Maintain an accurate record of Extension Board members, agendas, and minutes
- Send correspondence to Extension Board members
4-H Youth Development Program
- Maintain enrollment and project records using the statewide 4-H computer program for 4-H members and volunteers
- Keep up to date on current 4-H rules and regulations
- Send correspondence and reminders to 4-H families
- Maintain an accurate inventory, order, and distribute 4-H manuals and materials
- Maintain an accurate record of 4-H Foundation members, agendas, and minutes
- Send correspondence to 4-H Foundation members
- Handle 4-H program registration and fees
- Keep accurate records of required statistical data
- Ensure the 4-H Foundation and clubs meet the Nebraska state 4-H and IRS requirements
- Create 4-H member recognition for the annual Achievement night celebration
- Provide support/direction to the 4-H Foundation for the annual fundraising efforts
County and State Fair
- Annually update Pawnee County Fair 4-H Exhibitor’s Guide
- Handle District/State Horse Show entries
- Enter appropriate data into the statewide 4-H management program
- Collect and organize County Fair entries
- Collect and organize identification affidavits
- Prepare superintendent’s notebooks
- Prepare show programs
- Manage the Friends of 4-H fundraising drive (mailings, awards, orders, and thank yous)
- Provide show help ( e.g. clerking) and guidance/supervision to 4-H volunteers
- Provide clerical support for agriculture producer programs (ex. Private Pesticide Applicator, Quality Assurance, etc.)
- Assume the responsibility of other duties as necessary
- Properly assist telephone and walk-in customers
- Maintain positive stakeholder relationships
- Handle logistics of select programs (e.g. copies, registration, locations, etc.)
- Keep up to date educational information and materials
- Keep accurate record and receipt of all for sale items
- Keep up to date information and materials
- Order and keep an inventory of for sale items
- Maintain equipment inventory
- Keep the website and social media up to date and accurate
- Network with local office managers
- Pursue professional development opportunities (e.g. Front Door Forum)
- Assist the Extension Educator as necessary
- Other duties as assigned
- Due to close work with children and the use of county and state equipment and facilities, this position requires a clean driving record and an absence of alcohol, drug, child safety, and criminal history.
- Normal business hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm with a 30-minute lunch break.
- Some schedule flexibility is required during large Extension events such as the County Fair, this will be scheduled with the Unit Leader
- An orientation/training and probationary period of six months exist for new hires.
- Pawnee County Benefits Package included.
______________________________________________________________________________Nebraska Extension is a Division of the Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln cooperating with the Counties and the United States Department of Agriculture.
Nebraska Extension educational programs abide with the nondiscrimination policies of the University of Nebraska–Lincoln and the United States Department of Agriculture.
2021 Extension Board Members
|Dennis Schuster||Terra Blecha|
|Clayton Branek||Holly Wempe|