Panhandle Research and Extension Center
Take the Guess Work Out of Cow/Calf ManagementAn updated online course is designed to benefit cattlemen currently in the beef business or those just getting started.
Grow Nebraska SummitOn November 8th, IANR is hosting a summit to focus on building partnerships to spur growth in Nebraska. This free event will feature fast-paced presentations and interactive sessions that will challenge participants to think globally and acting locally.
4-H Youth Take on Challenge of Wearable TechOn October 4th, Nebraska joins youth from across the county in the challenge of designing wearable fitness trackers as part of the world's largest youth-led science experiment.
High Soybean Yields Need More NitrogenA new study discovered soybean crops in highly productive fields demand more nitrogen than natural sources alone can supply.
Nebraska Extension is Setting a Foundation for the Next GenerationThe Learning Child program provides necessary training for parents and other caring adults so they can provide the best learning for their children.
Quick view of our main focus areas, programs, and locations
Administration, Faculty and Staff
Panhandle Extension News
- Extension to launch webinar series targeting feedyards
- Sugarbeet chopping demonstration set for Oct. 25 at research feedlot
- Farm and ranch estate planning workshop Nov. 1 at Sidney
- Workshops in September, October, help ranchers manage in drought aftermath
- You've inherited a farm? Workshop at Bridgeport covers the management basics
- Quickbooks workshops set in Kimball, Chadron, Mullen, Valentine, Scottsbluff
- Cost of production workshops for ranchers around region in November, December
- Range Beef Cow Symposium Nov. 28-30 at Cheyenne
- Catch A Calf National Western applications due by Dec. 1
- SD specialist to serve as bridge in feedlot specialist transition
- Bradshaw appointed associate director intern
- Field studies: When 5 bushels difference isn't statistically significant
- Field studies: Replicated plots vs. side-by-side comparisons
- New chickpea variety may help restore acreage in western NE
- Panhandle Extension group competes in Cheatgrass Challenge
- UNL studying whether char from sugarbeet factories will help soil
- 2017 field pea variety trial results online
- Have plant diseases influenced food and eating habits?
- Annie's Project Nov. 3-4 to focus on estate transition and planning
- Children's books for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Is that corn worth more as silage or grain?
- Alternatives to bluegrass turf
- Has plant disease ergot altered the course of history?
- Making decisions about mowing and fertilizing lawns
- Biodegradable mulch gets field test
- Did a plant disease play a role in the Salem witch trials?
- Grubs or water stress -- identifying the cause of brown turf
- Farm real estate market survey results for Panhandle
- Pilot program has teens as teachers for elementary students
- Building strong families - making time for family
- Nebraska's role in the science of plant genetics and crop breeding
- New invasive species -- Absinth Wormwood
- Five things to do to improve your Quicken record keeping
- Did you know? Nebraska leads the way in great northern bean production
- Rangelands in western Nebraska
- Previous Panhandle Perspective articles
Director's Insights from Dr. Jack Whittier
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
Nebraska Extension's CropWatch web site has answers to farmers' questions about crop varieties, fertilizer, irrigation, pest control, harvest and many other issues. Check out the main page or click below to go directly to sugarbeets, dry edible beans, wheat, or potatoes.
- Dry Edible Beans
- Potato Education Guide
- Variety testing results for sunflower, millet, pea
Nebraska Extension's Beef Cattle Production Website has research-based information about all facets of beef production; news about current trends; interactive decision-making tools; and calendars with learning opportunities
The North Platte River:
Surface Water Irrigation Projects and Power Generation: A basic history of and information about the North Platte River U.S. Bureau of Reclamation projects ' surface irrigation, power generation and other related irrigation and power generation projects ' on the North Platte River drainage.
By Gary Stone, Extension Educator, Panhandle Research & Extension Center.