Panhandle Research and Extension Center
Take the Guess Work Out of Cow/Calf ManagementAn updated online course is designed to benefit cattlemen currently in the beef business or those just getting started.
Nebraska Extension is Aiming for Healthier YouthNebraska Extension is combating childhood obesity across the state by implementing programs to improve healthy eating and physical activity patterns in youth.
4-H to celebrate Nebraska's 150th with Clover ChaseNebraska 4-H youth in all 93 counties will have the opportunity to join in the Nebraska 150 Celebration by participating in an interactive scavenger hunt.
Nebraska Extension is Setting a Foundation for the Next GenerationThe Learning Child program provides necessary training for parents and other caring adults so they can provide the best learning for their children.
Quick view of our main focus areas, programs, and locations
Administration, Faculty and Staff
Panhandle Extension News
- Extension to launch webinar series targeting feedyards
- Workshops in September, October, help ranchers manage in drought aftermath
- Five pre-planting steps to reducing disease in 2017 wheat crop
- Range Beef Cow Symposium Nov. 28-30 at Cheyenne
- Gardeners invited to share excess bounty with food pantry
- SD specialist to serve as bridge in feedlot specialist transition
- Spider mite outbreak affects juniper, cedar trees
- Bradshaw appointed associate director intern
- Whittier recognized by animal science society
- Field studies: When 5 bushels difference isn't statistically significant
- Field studies: Replicated plots vs. side-by-side comparisons
- Emerald ash borer not seen in western Nebraska yet
- New chickpea variety may help restore acreage in western NE
- Panhandle Extension group competes in Cheatgrass Challenge
- UNL studying whether char from sugarbeet factories will help soil
- Is that corn worth more as silage or grain?
- Alternatives to bluegrass turf
- Has plant disease ergot altered the course of history?
- Making decisions about mowing and fertilizing lawns
- Biodegradable mulch gets field test
- Did a plant disease play a role in the Salem witch trials?
- Grubs or water stress -- identifying the cause of brown turf
- Farm real estate market survey results for Panhandle
- Abnormally dry conditions in central Nebraska
- Field pea condition, varieties get a look a field tours
- Pilot program has teens as teachers for elementary students
- Building strong families - making time for family
- Nebraska's role in the science of plant genetics and crop breeding
- New invasive species -- Absinth Wormwood
- Five things to do to improve your Quicken record keeping
- Did you know? Nebraska leads the way in great northern bean production
- Rangelands in western Nebraska
- Previous Panhandle Perspective articles
Director's Insights from Dr. Jack Whittier
- August 2017
- July 2017
- June 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
Nebraska Extension's CropWatch web site has answers to farmers' questions about crop varieties, fertilizer, irrigation, pest control, harvest and many other issues. Check out the main page or click below to go directly to sugarbeets, dry edible beans, wheat, or potatoes.
- Dry Edible Beans
- Potato Education Guide
- Variety testing results for sunflower, millet, pea
Nebraska Extension's Beef Cattle Production Website has research-based information about all facets of beef production; news about current trends; interactive decision-making tools; and calendars with learning opportunities
The North Platte River:
Surface Water Irrigation Projects and Power Generation: A basic history of and information about the North Platte River U.S. Bureau of Reclamation projects ' surface irrigation, power generation and other related irrigation and power generation projects ' on the North Platte River drainage.
By Gary Stone, Extension Educator, Panhandle Research & Extension Center.