Nebraska Extension is Aiming for Healthier YouthNebraska Extension is combating childhood obesity across the state by implementing programs to improve healthy eating and physical activity patterns in youth.
4-H to celebrate Nebraska's 150th with Clover ChaseNebraska 4-H youth in all 93 counties will have the opportunity to join in the Nebraska 150 Celebration by participating in an interactive scavenger hunt.
Nebraska Extension Launches New InitiativeThe Strengthening Nebraska’s Agricultural Economy initiative will feature Nebraska Extension specialists and educators from multiple disciplines sharing researched-based information to help producers reduce input costs, increase efficiencies and improve profitability of farm and livestock operations.
Nebraska Extension is Setting a Foundation for the Next GenerationThe Learning Child program provides necessary training for parents and other caring adults so they can provide the best learning for their children.
Panhandle Research and Extension Center
Quick view of our main focus areas, programs, and locations
Administration, Faculty and Staff
Panhandle Extension News
- Stripe rust reported in Panhandle wheat
- New water and irrigation management specialist appointed
- Dr. Alexander Pavlista, longtime potato specialist and crop physiologist, retires
- BQA guidelines for calf branding-processing season
- 4-Hers, Bomgaars, other businesses and schools team up to raise funds to fix fences
- 2017 Wheat Field Days scheduled in the Panhandle
- Emerald ash borer not seen in western Nebraska yet
- New chickpea variety may help restore acreage in western NE
- Now is time for strategy for marketing 2017 corn crop
- Panhandle Extension group competes in Cheatgrass Challenge
- Pasture monitoring app available for Android OS
- UNL studying whether char from sugarbeet factories will help soil
- Plant pathologist's book combines history, science, more
- April 18: High Plains Ranch Practicum accepting applications for 2017 class
- April 11: Farm program payments and projections
- April 4: Ventenata grass -- invasive species on its way?
- March 29: Wildlife management along the Platte River
- March 22: Medusahead grass: Invasive species on its way?
- March 15: What's your ag literacy?
- March 8: Women in Ag conference April 7 at Sidney
- Feb. 28: 4-H mentoring grant provides opportunities in Bayard, Roosevelt elementaries
- Previous Panhandle Perspective articles
Director's Insights from Dr. Jack Whittier
- April 2017
- March 2017
- February 2017
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
Nebraska Extension's CropWatch web site has answers to farmers' questions about crop varieties, fertilizer, irrigation, pest control, harvest and many other issues. Check out the main page or click below to go directly to sugarbeets, dry edible beans, wheat, or potatoes.
- Dry Edible Beans
- Potato Education Guide
- Variety testing results for sunflower, millet, pea
Nebraska Extension's Beef Cattle Production Website has research-based information about all facets of beef production; news about current trends; interactive decision-making tools; and calendars with learning opportunities
The North Platte River:
Surface Water Irrigation Projects and Power Generation: A basic history of and information about the North Platte River U.S. Bureau of Reclamation projects ' surface irrigation, power generation and other related irrigation and power generation projects ' on the North Platte River drainage.
By Gary Stone, Extension Educator, Panhandle Research & Extension Center.