Growing a Healthy FutureRead about some of Nebraska Extension advances in wearable tech, youth entrepreneurship and precision ag.
Crop Production Clinics Start in JanuaryCrop Production Clinics will be hosted across the state to help producers make practical, profitable and environmentally sound decisions.
Counties Benefit from being 'Livestock Friendly'UNL study shows the livestock friendly destination in counties gain more cattle farms.
WeCook Program Gives Healthy Options to Youth4-H's WeCook Program is helping low-income youth and their families create fun and nutritious meals.
From Research to RealityNebraska Extension has delivered research-based knowledge to people through direct teaching, experiential learning opportunities and publication.
Panhandle Research and Extension Center
Administration, Faculty and Staff
Panhandle Extension News
- Beef Feedlot Roundtable Feb. 7 at Scottsbluff
- Dryland crop workshop Feb. 2
- Dry Bean Day Feb. 7 at Gering
- Dry bean, pea variety trial results available on-line
- Quicken record-keeping classes planned in Alliance, Sidney, Scottsbluff, Bridgeport, Kimball
- Ranching for Profitability meetings begin Jan. 17
- Calving workshops Jan. 24 at Kimball, Chadron
- Farm-ranch succession workshops Jan. 25 at Bridgeport, Chadron
- Pesticide applicator sessions scheduled for western Nebraska
- Land application training day set for Jan. 31 at Scottsbluff
- Panhandle Extension group competes in Cheatgrass Challenge
- Dry bean breeding specialist receives IANR award
- Panhandle Extension professionals recognized
- Pasture monitoring app available for Android OS
- Fly is new invasive pest in this area
- UNL studying whether char from sugarbeet factories will help soil
- Plant pathologist's book combines history, science, more
- Proso millet research advances
- Jan. 11, 2017: Building strong families for children
- Jan. 4, 2017: Stripe rust update in the Panhandle
- Dec. 20, 2016: Parasitoid wasp studied for control of western bean cutworm
- Dec. 13, 2016: Finishing one year and looking forward to the next
- Dec. 6, 2016: Nebraska's role in detection of Rhizomania in U.S. sugarbeet fields
- Nov. 30, 2016: The roots of community vitality
- Nov. 21, 2016: Cultiviating cultural competence in children
- Nov. 15, 2016: Changing rural population -- the long view
- Nov. 8, 2016: Western Sustainable Ag Crop-Livestock Conference Dec. 3 at Sidney
- Nov. 1, 2016: Scientific consensus and the role of peer review
- Oct. 25, 2016: What is scientific consensus and why is it important?
- Oct. 18, 2016: The Day of the Dead celebration
- Oct. 11, 2016: Addressing the wheat stem sawfly problem
- Oct. 4, 2016: The importance of play to children's development
- Sept. 27, 2016: Ranch transition when you aren't in control -- workshops planned
- Sept. 20, 2016: Herbicide resistance -- what it is, why it's a problem, and can we solve it?
- Sept. 13, 2016: Intensively managing cows as part of a system with limited grass
- Sept. 6, 2016: Striped rust summary and planned research
- Aug. 31, 2016: Stripe rust, part 4: Treatment options
- Aug. 24, 2016: Stripe rust, part 3: Reasons behind recent outbreaks
- Aug. 17, 2016: Stripe rust, part 2: Biology and life cycle
- Aug. 10, 2016: Stripe rust, part 1: History and early research
- Aug. 3, 2016: Pre-planting steps to prevent disease in winter wheat
Nebraska Extension's CropWatch web site has answers to farmers' questions about crop varieties, fertilizer, irrigation, pest control, harvest and many other issues. Check out the main page or click below to go directly to sugarbeets, dry edible beans, wheat, or potatoes.
- Dry Edible Beans
- Potato Education Guide
- Variety testing results for sunflower, millet, pea
Nebraska Extension's Beef Cattle Production Website has research-based information about all facets of beef production; news about current trends; interactive decision-making tools; and calendars with learning opportunities
Director's Insights from Dr. Jack Whittier
- January 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- March 2016
- February 2016
- January 2016
The North Platte River:
Surface Water Irrigation Projects and Power Generation: A basic history of and information about the North Platte River U.S. Bureau of Reclamation projects ' surface irrigation, power generation and other related irrigation and power generation projects ' on the North Platte River drainage.
By Gary Stone, Extension Educator, Panhandle Research & Extension Center.