4-H New Club Packet

4-H Club Charter Application

  When a new 4-H Club is formed in Nebraska, the 4-H Volunteer Leader or other person in charge of the 4-H Unit must complete the Request for Official Approval for Establishment of New 4-H Unit and Club Charter. Completion of this form provides the 4-H Club permission to use the 4-H Name and Emblem.

Request for Official Approval for Establishment of New 4-H Unit and Club Charter

Template Constitution and Bylaws

The Constitution and Bylaws is a guide used to assist Nebraska 4-H Clubs with providing structure around the club's name/identity; mission and purpose; membership; officers; duties, and terms; meetings; fiscal operations; use of club revenue; and dissolution.

Constitution & Bylaw template

IRS Tax Exempt

  4-H Clubs receive federal income tax exemption through a group exemption held by the Nebraska 4-H Foundation. This means that 4-H clubs are exempt from paying federal income tax on funds raised on behalf of 4 H, or to support educational programs; and donors can deduct contributions to 4-H clubs.

For a club to be included in the group exemption, it must meet these requirements:

  1. Be a chartered Nebraska 4-H Club (refer to above information)
  2. Have a constitution/bylaws (refer to above information)
  3. Have an IRS-issued Employer Identification Number. If a club handles finances, it must have its own EIN.
  4. Complete a Group Exemption Authorization Form.

To retain this status, clubs must annually:

  1. Submit a year-end financial report to the extension office by December 31.
  2. Provide information as needed by the extension office to file an IRS Form 990-N by May 15.
  3. Club/council will be excluded from exemption if failure to comply with the above.

EIN Application SS-4

Officer Resources

Officer Guide
Secretary Record
Reporters Handbook
Treasurer's Handbook
Year End 4-H Club Treasurer's Report