Washington County 4-H Public Speaking Contest
The 4-H Public Speaking Contest provides an opportunity for youth to improve their public speaking skills while building confidence. Whether you write a speech or deliver a public service announcement, it's sure to be an enjoyable contest!
- SUBMIT your Public Speaking Contest Registration Form (GOOGLE FORM) to the Nebraska Extension in Washington County by MONDAY, APRIL 12, 2021 BY 5PM.
- Find the Registration Form (Google Form) here: https://forms.gle/jd8xJaZSiyM3ZRq98
Any questions or concerns can be directed to all 4-H Staff at email@example.com or email Jaki directly at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Three age divisions are used and based on the member's 4-H age as of January 1, 2021. Please note in 2021 the State has altered the age divisions to Intermediate (10-13) to match the Nebraska State Fair age divisions.
- Clover Kid: 5-7 (as of January 1)
- Junior: 8-9 (as of January 1)
- Intermediate: 10-13 (as of January 1)
- Senior: 14-18 (as of January 1)
GENERAL RULES & REGULATIONS
- Length of Speeches
- Junior Division: 1-3 minutes
- Intermediate Division: 3-5 minutes
- Senior Division: 5-8 minutes
- All speeches must be original and include 4-H as the major component of the speech.
- 4-H public speakers may not use an old speech written by a sibling, other 4-H member, or anyone else.
- Acknowledge the source of information used in the speech. For example, an article from a magazine may be used for reference but should not be quoted directly unless you tell the audience your source.
- Use of visual aids and props are not allowed.
- Dress appropriately. Do not wear costumes or special effect clothing.
- No team speeches are allowed.
|PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT (PSA)
- All PSA’s are 60 seconds in length.
- The state theme for the 2021 Public Service Announcement is "Opportunity 4 All" and should be incorporated in the PSA.
- All radio PSA’s must promote 4-H and be general enough to be used anywhere in Nebraska at any time of the year.
- All 4-H PSA’s must include the following tag line within the last ten seconds of the PSA: “Learn more about Nebraska Extension 4-H Youth Development Program at 4h.unl.edu.” The tag line is included in the 60 second time limit.
- Sound effects and public domain music may be used. Copyrighted material may not be used.
- All PSA’s must be the original work of the presenter. Contestants may not use PSA’s written and provided by the state or national staff.
- No team PSA’s are allowed.