Nutrition, profitability, and health are the themes of the 2020 University of Nebraska-Lincoln Beef Roundup hosted by Nebraska Extension on Tuesday, January 21, and Tuesday, January 28, at 6pm MST (7pm CST). This series features topic experts from the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Kansas State University. Each evening features two presentations that can be viewed from any location with internet access or at several locations across Nebraska. Sites and registration information is listed below.
Nebraska is nationally known as the Beef State. Our team provides research-based information and resources to beef producers to help them provide an economical, safe, quality product to consumers while protecting and preserving Nebraska's vast natural resources.
Active in all 93 counties and at beef.unl.edu
Karla Wilke, Cow/Calf Stocker Management Specialist
Panhandle Research and Extension Center
Temperatures dropping below 15 degrees in early October 2019 may have put some sugarbeets in Western Nebraska at risk of decaying at the crown. When decay begins in the beet before it can be processed, it makes the beet unacceptable for sugar production for human consumption.
By Aaron Berger
Nebraska Beef Extension Educator
For agricultural producers committed to lifelong learning, podcasts are a good way to expand their knowledge base while using time effectively.
Most people involved in production ag spend a significant amount of time behind the wheel of a vehicle or piece of equipment. This “drive time” can be an opportunity to listen to podcasts on their smartphones.
Karla H. Jenkins, Cow/Calf and Stocker Management Specialist
Panhandle R&E Center, Scottsbluff
Recently I attended a high school football game just a few blocks from that community’s local cattle auction. As I watched the players warming up, I hardly noticed the bawling noises made by the calves who had been delivered earlier that day in preparation for the big sale the next day.
Latest Updates from beef.unl.edu
- University of Nebraska Lincoln Extension Beef Economics Team Annual Beef Heifer Replacement Forecasts for the 2019 – 2020 Production Season (Summary Briefing)
- Nebraska Extension Offering Land Application Training in January and February
- UNL Beef Roundup Webinars January 21 and 28
- New Cow-Calf Budgets Available for Nebraska
- Burning Your Bottom Line: How Hot Hay Changes Forage Quality
- Manure: Waste or Valuable Agricultural Resource?
- West Central Cattlemen’s Day Series Offered at Seven Locations
- Differences Between High-, Medium-, and Low-Profit Cow-Calf Producers: An Analysis of 2014-2018 Kansas Farm Management Association Cow-Calf Enterprise – A Review
- Use the Numbers (correctly) this Bull Sale Season
- Considerations for Temporary Fence Around Cropland