Nebraska is nationally known as the Beef State. Our team provides research-based information and resources to beef producers to help them provide an economical, safe, quality product to consumers while protecting and preserving Nebraska's vast natural resources.
Active in all 93 counties and at beef.unl.edu
By Aaron Berger Nebraska Extension Beef Educator
Unit cost of production is a ratio where costs in the numerator are divided by the units produced in the denominator.
There are five ways to reduce unit costs of production in a cow-calf enterprise.
Decrease costs while keeping production the same. An example of this would be to sell unneeded equipment or reduce equipment expense while keeping calf production the same. Costs decrease while production is maintained, decreasing unit cost of production.
Dr. Pablo Loza has been appointed as Feedlot Nutrition and Management Specialist, based at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln (UNL) Panhandle Research, Extension, and Education Center at Scottsbluff. His appointment was announced by Jack Whittier, Director of the UNL Panhandle Research and Extension Center.
By Aaron Berger
Nebraska Beef Extension Educator
For agricultural producers committed to lifelong learning, podcasts are a good way to expand their knowledge base while using time effectively.
Most people involved in production ag spend a significant amount of time behind the wheel of a vehicle or piece of equipment. This “drive time” can be an opportunity to listen to podcasts on their smartphones.
Latest Updates from beef.unl.edu
- Guidance on the Prevention and Spread of COVID-19 for Farmers, Ranchers and Agricultural Workers
- Management Strategies for Minimizing Early Pregnancy Loss
- #socialdistancing: Create Physical Distance but Stay in Touch
- Flooded Sandhills Subirrigated Meadows and Upland Sites
- Flies on Pastured Cattle
- It is Canada thistle, not Canadian thistle . . .
- COVID-19 Branding Guidelines
- Will Feeding Silage to Lactating Cows Give my Calves Scours?
- What is your Competitive Advantage?
- Heifer CONSULT Available for use by Beef Cow-calf Producers