- Saline County Beef Weigh Day
- 4-H Bucket Calf Project Guide For 4-H'ers and Parents
- How to order Scrapie tags and Scrapie Program Information
- Trimming Goat Hooves (Youtube video)
- Nebraska Sheep & Goat Producers
- Meat Goat Showmanship - YouTube
- 4-H Meat Goat Guide - Texas A&M University
- Horse ID Form - Due June 15
- 4-H Horse Program
- Advancement Level Information
- State Horse Show - entries and level testing to be complete by 4:30 pm on May 6
- 4-H Horse Stampede
- UNL Animal Science - Poultry
- Backyard Chickens - Breed Identification
- Exhibiting 4-H Poultry Guide
- Henderson's Chicken Breed Chart
- Poultry Breed Identification
- Poultry Showmanship Made Easy
- Poultry Showmanship Steps
- Poultry Showmanship - YouTube by Brett Kreifels
- Rabbit ID Form - Due June 15
- Rabbit Project Resources (pdf)
- Showmanship & Grooming Information - Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County
- Showmanship Presentation Powerpoint - Nebraska Extension in Lancaster County
- Rabbit Showmanship Presentation
- Sample Schowmanship Script - Use this as a guideline to write your own script
- Parts of a Rabbit Diagram
- How To Tattoo A Rabbit - YouTube Video or Tattooing A Rabbit - University of Minnesota
- American Rabbit Breeders Association
Livestock IdentificationAll livestock, horse and rabbit ID forms are due in the office by 4:30 pm on June 15.District and State Horse Show ID forms are due May 6 (entry deadline).
- Livestock Identification Guidelines and Livestock ID Information
- ID Forms
- Scrapie Tag Information (All sheep and goats)
- DNA Collection Instructions for Market Beef, Market Goats, Market Sheep, and Market Swine (Due in office by June 15 or sooner)
- If you collected DNA on your market anmals and you intened to exhibit at State Fair, you will NEED to complete an online nomination.
- If you intended to exhibit breeding animals (beef, feeder calves, goats, sheep & swine, you will NEED to complete an online nomination.
- State Fair Nomination Website & Instructions
Online Nominations Due - by June 15 for market animals, breeding animals and feeder calves for State Fair eligibilty for 4-H and FFA
- Frequently Asked Questions for 4-H Exhibitors (Nomination Process and DNA)
4-H Youth ages 8-18 (as of Jan. 1) and FFA youth up to age 21 MUST complete Quality Assurance before exhibiting beef, goats, sheep, swine, rabbits and poultry at the County Fair and State Fair and have certificate on file at Extension Office by June 1st! This requirement must be met each year. Two options are available for 4-H members - independent online course or attend a Face-to-Face training. FFA members ages 19-21 can only complete the independent online course.
- Youth For The Quality Care of Animals Training Registration Website
- Instructions For Completing Your IndividualWeb-based YQCA Training - DO NOT use these instructions for the Instructor Led Face to Face training option.
- Instructor Led Face-to-Face Training Registration Instructions - DO NOT use these instructions for the individual online training option.
- MUST complete a pre-test after online registration and post test after attending class to download and print certificates.
- Downloading and Printing Your YQCA Certificates - for web-based and instructor-led trainings
Premise IDExhibitors of 4-H and FFA market beef, feeder calves and swine that carry an EID (840) tag will be requried to submit a Premise ID number obtained through the Nebraska Department of Agriculture at no cost to the exhibitor. Exhibitors will not be allowed to exhibit at the Nebraska State Fair without a Premise ID being supplied to the Extension Office.As in the past, ALL market swine exhibitors must have a Premise ID on file to exhibit at County Fair also. While we realize at this time you may not know if you are planning to exhibit at the Nebraska State Fair (must be 10 years as of Jan. 1) we would suggest obtaining your Premise ID now as it will be required for future fairs and shows. If you already have a Premine ID, please mail a copy of the letter with your Premise ID that you recieved or download the Premise ID Form linked below and complete the information and return to the Extension Office by June 15. If you received a Premise ID previously, you can verify your Premise ID by calling 402 471-2351.If you do not have a Premise ID visit: https://nda.nebraska.gov/adt/premises.html and complete the form at: https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/saline/PDFFiles/PremisesID-Form.pdf and email or mail to:Email the completed form to email@example.com or mail to:Nebraska Department of Agriculture
Animal and Plant Health Protection
301 Centennial Mall South
P.O. Box 94787
Lincoln, NE 68509-4787
- Youth must be 9 years of age on Jan. 1 of the current year to enter animal entries.
- Nebraska 4-H at the State Fair (Premium Book, scoresheets, etc)
- Website for Entering Animals and Livestock for the State Fair: http://nebr.fairwire.com/ - Website closes at 8 p.m. CST on August 10, 2023
To be eligible for entry, market and breeding beef, sheep, goats, and swine must have been nominated in the www.showstockmgr.com website by July 1.
- Entry Instructions for Animals: It is the responsibility of the family/exhibitor to make your state fair entries online.State Fair Entry Deadline for Animals is August 10 by 8 pm. Market animal exhibitors will need to have their Premise ID handy for entering the number.
Entry website: https://www.statefair.org/ag-competitions/4-h-ffa-exhibitors/
Entry Limits: Entry Limits for 4-H and FFA: https://www.statefair.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/2023-4-H-Exhibitor-Entry-Limits.pdf
Entry Instructions (READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BEFORE BEGINNING): https://www.statefair.org/wp-content/uploads/2023/07/2023-Step-by-Step-4-H_FFA_Registration_Instructions.pdf
4-H State Fair information: https://4h.unl.edu/state-fair
- FFA members should ask their advisors if you have questions regarding state fair.
FFA State Fair information: https://neaged.org/state-fair/
4-H exhibitors will be automatically entered into showmanship. FFA members MUST pre enter at entry time.
- 2023 4-H and FFA Livestock Schedule - subject to change
- NOTE OF IMPORTANCE: 2023 4-H SHOWS WILL BE "BLOW & GO" - NO FIT SHOW. "Blow & Go" Guidelines
- Please read your sections of the State Fair book for information pertaining to your animals and grooming rules.
- FFA Shows will be FULL FIT in 2023
- Health Requirements for Animals
- Rabbit Hemorrhagic Disease and the State Fair 4-H Rabbit Show
The NDA has created a link for rabbit owners to review information, guidance, and links for public knowledge to increase awareness and provide guidance regarding this disease: https://nda.nebraska.gov/animal/diseases/rhd/index.html
- General Livestock Rules and Regulations
- Exhibitor Resources (Stall assignments, Ethics Affidavits, etc.)
- Frequently Asked Questions for 4-H Exhibitors (Nomination Process and DNA) n trios are considered one entry). Egg entries are not considered in the live bird limit. Egg entries are limited to one dozen per exhibitor.
- 4-H and FFA Animal Exhibitor Letter from Brandy Schultze and Ryan Hassebrook
- FFA Information, Schedule, Rules, etc. for State Fair
FFA members need to check their email for stall assignments.
- Livestock Check-In Trailer Hours - Hours have changed for Thursday, Aug. 24 due to heat. See your email or our Facebook page for new information and check-in times.
- 2023 FFA State Fair Livestock Arrival and Dismissal Times (Email from Ryan Hassebrook)
- Nebraska State Fair
Ak-Sar-BenAk-Sar-Ben Stock Show - Entry deadline is Sept. 1 at 11:59 CST. September 21-23, 2023 are the dates.
No longer a 4-H livestock show with no prerequisite of a youth organization affiliate. Questions about theAk-Sar-Ben Stock Show should be directed to Kelly Loeske at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Youth must be 9-19 years of age as of Jan. 1st to enter
- Youth not exhibiting at the Nebraska State Fair who need DNA envelopes for market animals must order DNA envelopes directly from Ak-Sar-Ben.
- Ak-Sar-Ben Entry Information - Entries will be made online.
- Entry website (Opens August 1st)
- Entry Limits: Refunds are not available if you enter more than the limits!
4 - Market Beef and 1 Calf Challenge (5 total)
4 - Breeding Heifers
4 - Market Lambs & 1 Lamb Challenge (5 total)
4 - Breeding Ewes
4- Market Swine
4 - Meat Goats
4- Breeding Does