The Panhandle Research & Extension Center
The Panhandle Research and Extension Center, located in Scottsbluff, houses 13 faculty of UNL's Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources (IANR). Most of the faculty hold joint appointments in research and extension. A list of faculty members and their subject areas is here.
History and Location:
In 1909, the University of Nebraska Experiment Station and the USDA jointly homesteaded a quarter section of land five miles east of Mitchell, NE. Initial research was in the area of crop production under gravity irrigation. Studies in sheep, swine, dairy, and beef production, in addition to many other crop areas, soon followed. The 800-acre Experimental Range in Sioux County was deeded to the University of Nebraska by President Woodrow Wilson in 1918. Satellite agricultural laboratories at Alliance (since closed) and Sidney, NE, were added in 1967.
The headquarters of the Panhandle Station moved to the former Hiram Scott College campus after the state had acquired the property after the school closed in the early 1970s. The headquarters and surrounding research plots are located just north of the city of Scottsbluff. To reflect the University's involvement throughout the Panhandle, the name was officially changed to the Panhandle Research and Extension Center in 1985.
- Phone: 308-632-1230
- Mail: 4502 Avenue I, Scottsbluff, NE 69361
- Director: Dr. Jack Whittier
- Agriculture in the Nebraska Panhandle
- A history of the Panhandle Center and its Research and Extension Programs (PDF)
- EXTENSION: Focus areas and list of programs (PDF)
- RESEARCH: Agricultural research capacity and program descriptions (PDF)
- The DA Murphy Arboretum is located on the grounds of the Panhandle Center. Learn about it and take a virtual tour.
A comprehensive look at the Panhandle Center on SlideShare:
The Panhandle Center works hand-in-hand with county-based offices to share research-based information with residents of western Nebraska
Extension Offices in the Panhandle District:
Box Butte County
Scotts Bluff County