This spring as the grass continues to green up yearling cattle will find their way to the pastures of the great plains for summer grazing.
Nebraska is nationally known as the Beef State. Our team provides research-based information and resources to beef producers to help them provide an economical, safe, quality product to consumers while protecting and preserving Nebraska's vast natural resources.
Active in all 93 counties and at beef.unl.edu
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is updating livestock insurance policies to improve options for producers and to create additional opportunities for producers to participate.
USDA’s Risk Management Agency’s (RMA) updates to the Dairy Revenue Protection (DRP) and Livestock Gross Margin (LGM) policies will be effective for the 2022 and succeeding crop years.
Understanding the How and Use of NASS Cattle Reports
Thursday, April 29, noon
With: Nick Streff, USDA NASS, and Elliott Dennis, UNL Agricultural Economics
Nick Streff is the Director of the USDA NASS Northern Plains Regional Field Office in Lincoln NE. Nick oversees data collection, analysis and publication of NASS estimates for the states of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska and Kansas. Prior to moving to Nebraska, Nick was the hogs and pigs statistician for USDA NASS. Nick will be taking us through an in depth look at the NASS cattle reports.
Ranchers who want to reduce calf loss at calving and want to learn how to properly assist cows at calving should plan to attend this workshop to be held February 25, 2021, Lincoln County Fairgrounds Ag Building starting at 5:00 PM-8:30 PM.
Topics discussed will include: "Handling Calving Difficulty with Emphasis on Decision Making", "Hows and Why of Techniques for Providing Assistance". Don't miss this! Hands-on activity with the use of the dystocia model.
Register at: http://llm.unl.edu
Latest Updates from beef.unl.edu
- Where are your priorities and How does your operation stack-up to the competition (Benchmarking)?
- Range and Pasture Weed of the Week – Knapweed, Spotted and Diffuse
- Pasture and Forage Minute: The Right Stocking Rate
- Pasture and Forage Minute: Spring Turn-Out to Pastures
- The Role of the Odor Footprint Tool in Livestock Nuisance Litigation
- Net Return Distributions When Metaphylaxis Is Used to Control Bovine Respiratory Disease in High Health Risk Cattle
- Budget Templates Updated for Sheep and Goat Enterprises
- Controlling Horn Flies on Pastured Cattle
- The Role of Water Intake in Rumen Development of the Nursing Calf
- Feed, Ship or Sell – Three Options to Reduce Stocking Rates