The University of Nebraska Panhandle Research and Extension Center will partner with the Nebraska Dry Bean Growers Association on August 19, 2021 to host the annual field tour, Panhandle Agricultural Research and Technology Tour (PARTT).
The 2021 event will highlight up-to-date research on dry beans, corn, sugarbeets, and alternative crops. Entry is free. PARTT will include tours of crop research plots; lunch; afternoon presentations on timely topics; and a chance to see new ag technology.
This year’s PARTT will return to a true field day format, with trailers carrying visitors on a tour of the research plots. In accordance with UNL guidelines, attendees are asked to wear masks if they are not fully vaccinated to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
Registration begins at 8:30 a.m. at the Panhandle Center, 4502 Avenue I. At 9 a.m. Mike Boehm, Vice President and Vice Chancellor of UNL’s Institute of Agriculture and Natural Resources, will provide a welcome. Plot tours begin at 9:15 a.m., with each stop lasting 35 minutes. Trailers will take visitors on the plot tours.
Tour topics include:
- Update on the Dry Bean Breeding Program - Potential UNL Dry Bean Releases - Carlos Urrea, Dry Bean Breeding Specialist
- AI-FlowCAM - Artificial Intelligence-based camera system to recognize flow meter readings - Xin Qiao, Water and Irrigation Management Specialist
- Managing Western Bean Cutworms in Dry Bean - Jeffrey Bradshaw, Entomologist
- Nutrient Management in Corn and Potato - Bijesh Maharjan, Soil and Nutrient Management Specialist
- Weed Control in Dry Bean - Nevin Lawrence, Integrated Weed Management Specialist
- Continuing Studies of Pulse Crop Diseases in Nebraska - Bob Harveson, Plant Pathologist
- Mung Bean as an Alternative Crop - Dipak Santra, Alternative Crops Breeding Specialis
- Lunch will be served at about noon. Afternoon programs and demonstrations:
- Ag Economy Update - Jessica Groskopf, Ag Economist
- Herbicide Resistance Risk Calendar App - Nevin Lawrence, Integrated Weed Management Specialist
- Technology demonstrations, including Garford Robocrop camera-guided weeder
For more information contact event chair Nevin Lawrence, Integrated Weed Management Specialist at 308-632-1230 or firstname.lastname@example.org