2018 Public Speaking Contest
- Holt/Boyd County 4-H Public Speaking Contest Flyer
- UNL 4-H Youth Development Public Speaking Website (Good resource for rules and regulations)
- Registration Entry Deadline and Contest Dates
- Registration Due Date - March 19
- Holt County 4-H Public Speaking Contest - March 26 - 7 pm - Holt County Annex, O'Neill
- Boyd County 4-H Public Speaking Contest - March 27 - 7 pm - Boyd County Courthouse, Butte
- Speech Forms and Additional Resources
- Holt/Boyd Clover Kid Non-Original Reading Form
- Holt/Boyd Speech Outline Form
- Speech Scoresheet
- “Guide to Making Great Speeches”
- PSA Forms and Additional Resources
2018 Summer Workshops
- Summer Workshops - This is the link to the Online Qualtric Registration Form - we will not take phone calls. Workshops Include: Swedish Tea Ring & Soft Pretzel; Barn Quilt; Clover Kid-STEM"Ooey Gooey" Science Workshop; Science Workshop; Human Development; Table Setting Contest; Sand Painting; Terrariums; Beginning Crochet; String Art; Rockets; Beef Showmanship; and Sheep Showmanship
- Summer Workshop Flyer - This is the link to read more information about the Workshops.
- Camp Cooking Class - This is useful for HL: Cooking 101, 201, 301, 401
- ***Parents, Older Siblings, and Leaders who can attend would be greatly appreciated, please let us know if you’re available!
4-H Welding Workshop
- A Career Day Exploratory Welding Workshop will be held for 4-Hers in O’Neill on Friday, June 1, 2018 at Northeast Community College, O’Neill Campus. Workshop will run from 9AM - 4PM. Cost: $10. * Please Bring a Sack Lunch.
- Youth must be 12 years of age to participate and must enroll in 4Honline in welding. Limited to 8 Participants! The first EIGHT participants to turn in completed paperwork and fees will be accepted (REGISTRATIONS & FEE must be sent to the BKR Extension Office, 148 West 4th, Ainsworth, NE 69210-1696 and payable to UNL.) (MAXIMUM of 8 YOUTH). AN ADULT MUST ACCOMPANY EVERY YOUTH.
- John Knapp, Northeast Community College Instructor will be teaching youth the welding process using the GMAW/MIG welding process. Youth will complete the welding joints exhibit for the fair; displaying one butt, one lap, and one fillet weld.
Youth must wear boots, jeans, and 100% cotton clothing. Please bring safety glasses along with a helmet, jacket and gloves. If you do not have safety equipment, please indicate that when you sign up.
2018 Tractor Safety Training Required by Law for Teen Farm/Ranch Workers to be held in O'Neill
- Federal law prohibits youth under 16 years of age from using specific equipment on a farm unless parents or legal guardians own the farm.
- Certification received through a course provided by Nebraska Extension grants an exemption to the law, allowing 14- and 15-year-olds to drive a tractor and work with certain mechanized equipment.
- The most common cause of agricultural-related death in Nebraska is overturned tractors and all-terrain vehicles (ATVs).
- Employing anyone uncertified under age 16 is a liability risk for farmers if those children operate such equipment.
- Nebraska Extension’s Tractor Safety & Hazardous Occupations Courses take place at 12 Nebraska locations this year for teens 14 or 15 years of age who will work on a farm.
- Anyone older than 15 is also welcome to attend, but those under age 14 are not eligible to take the class. Extensive training on tractor and ATV safety occurs during in-class lessons with hands-on activities.
- Instilling an attitude of safety and a respect for agricultural equipment are primary goals of the course.
- The first day of classroom instruction includes hands-on demonstrations, concluding with a written test. Classroom instruction will cover the required elements of the National Safe Tractor and Machinery Operation Program. Students are required to pass the test before taking the driving test on day two. The second day will include a physical driving test with equipment operation and ATV safety lessons. To receive certification, students must demonstrate competence in hitching and unhitching equipment and driving a tractor and trailer through a standardized course. Instructors will offer an ATV simulator experience to learn about safe behaviors and laws for ATVs and UTVs. Students will also complete homework assignments for the second day.
- Cost of the course is $60, which includes educational materials, instruction, supplies, and lunch both days.
- Please send in the attached registration and student release (to this email) to the Extension Office by MAY 30th to attend the O'Neill session on June 7 and 8! We have to have 8 registrations or we will have to cancel the training.
- Please share this information with anyone that would be interested in taking this training. This is not limited to enrolled 4-H members, you do not have to be in 4-H to be able to complete the training!
2018 Nebraska 4-H Online Horticulture Judging Contest
The contest will be available from 8:00 am Friday, June 8th through 8:00 am Monday, June 18, 2018. It is composed of three parts; general knowledge questions, plant part and seed identification, as well as a judging portion. It is open to all 4-H youth as well as adults. No password needed, the link listed below will take you directly to the contest. The link to participate will be https://go.unl.edu/2018hortcontest
The youth need to fill in all of their information completely. The online contest should only be taken once by each participant. No study materials are to be used. The contest will allow an opportunity for the participant to review the answers prior to submitting. Once submitted, the participants will see their score, but they will not be able to see which questions they missed.
Study Materials for the Online Horticulture Judging Contest and the State 4-H Horticulture Judging Contest held during State Fair are the same and they can be found at: http://4h.unl.edu/fairbook/plant-science/horticulture-id
2018 Holt/Boyd Tractor Operators Contest
- June 26, 2018 - NOTE: TIME AND LOCATION CHANGE - 2:00 p.m. - Boyd County Courthouse, Butte (for the quiz) and the Pete Anderson Memorial Field, Butte (for parts id and driving course)
- One Contest held in Boyd County Only - For participants of BOTH counties
- 4-H and FFA will participate together.
- To be eligible to drive the course you must have been enrolled in an Ag Class in school this last school year and/or have completed all 4 units of the 4-H Tractor Manual and be at least 12 years old prior to January 1. All ages can take the quiz and complete the practicals but only those youths 12 and older can drive the course.Participants will answer all questions on the quiz, identify incorrect or faulty maintenance and safety items, identify parts, and drive the course.
- Age Divisions will be Senior (14 & Older), Junior (11-13) and Novices (8-10).
- Holt/Boyd Tractor Operator Contest Registration Form ( 2 pages - Due June 19, 2018 - download it to your Adobe Reader and then type into form and submit by email )
- 2018 Flyer
2018 Boyd County Small Animal Show
- June 26, 2018 - Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- Dogs - 6:30 p.m.
- Clover Kid Dog Show and Tell will be held prior to 4-H Dogs
- Small Animal Registration and Show - 7:00 p.m. - Between Kitchen Building and
4-H Building, Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- Clover Kid Show and Tell will be held prior to to Show of the same species
- Be sure to bring your signed Vet Check Papers - You will be unable to show without Signed Vet Check Paper on all of your animals.
- 2018 Flyer
Pre-Fair Day Information -
- Holt/Boyd Pre-Fair Entry Due Date - June 25
- Boyd County Pre-Fair Day - July 11, 2018 at St. Mary's Hall, Spencer, NE
- Holt County Pre-Fair Day - July 12, 2018 at Faith Community Church, Solid Rock Building, O’Neill
- Information and Forms
- Pre-Fair Day Letter - 2 pages letter with information about Pre-Fair Day
- Pre-Fair Day Registration Form - 3 page registration for Clover Kid and 4-H members - Clothing Construction, Modeling, Presentations, Table Setting Contest, Talent Contest, and Tractor Driving Contest.
- Fashion Show Narration Form - there are two version of this form - fill out and return either one
- Fashion Show Narration Form - Fill out one form for each exhibit that you will model. Mail to your County Office
- Fashion Show Narration Fill-In Form- Type directly into the form and either email or mail to your County Office
- Modeled Shopping In Style Purchased Outfit and Written Report SF184 - doc | pdf
- STEAM Sewing Skills by Level - 389.5 kb pdf file - 2 pages
- Table Setting Contest
- Table Setting Manual - 995.8 kb pdf file - 6 pages
The Table Setting Contest is a fun way to learn how to properly set a table; plan nutritious meals; express originality and creativity in choosing a theme; express knowledge of food, nutrition and food safety and present to a judge.The Table Setting Contest is open to all Clover Kids and to any 4-H member enrolled in family and consumer sciences projects. This includes all foods, clothing, and home environment projects.
- Table Setting Planning Guide
- Table Setting Scoresheet
- Team Culinary Challenge Contest - County and State Fair
- Interview Judging Information
- Go to this page to learn how to Interview Judge, watch several You Tube videos on Interview Judging and for the Absentee Interview Judging Form.