NEBRASKA 4-H SHOOTING SPORTS POLICY
Adapted from the National 4-H Shooting Sports
The 4-H Shooting Sports Program strives to enable people, their parents and adult volunteers to become responsible, self directed and productive members of society. Extension staff, leaders, instructors and coaches must understand the goals and objectives of the program in order to manage or present it properly. These goals and objectives are consistent with the goals and objectives of the 4-H program. The program transfers knowledge, skills and attitudes to develop human capital, using the subject matter and resources of the land grant universities.
The specific goals and objectives of the 4-H Shooting Sports Program include, but are not limited to those listed below.
- To enhance development of self-concept, character and personal growth through safe, educational and socially acceptable involvement in a shooting related activity.
- To encourage participation in natural resources and related natural science programs by exposing participants to the content through in shooting activity.
- To teach safe and responsible use of firearms and archery equipment including sound decision-making, self-discipline and concentration.
- To promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship and ethical behavior.
- To expose participants to the broad array of vocational and lifelong avocational activities related to shooting sports.
- To strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities.
- To complement and enhance the impact of existing safety, shooting and hunter education programs using experiential educational methods and progressive development of skills and abilities.