Commercial Applicator — A licensed applicator who uses any restricted use pesticide (RUP) on a contractual or “for hire” basis. Commercial applicator shall also include any person using restricted or general use pesticides “for hire” or compensation for lawn care, structural pest control, or community-wide outdoor vector control.
Noncommercial Applicator — A licensed applicator who applies RUPs only on lands owned or controlled by his/her employer or for a governmental agency or subdivision of the state. Also, a licensed applicator who applies either general or restricted use pesticides to control mosquitoes on behalf of a political subdivision of the state.
- 2020 PSEP Training Schedule Booklet (8 page pdf - direct download)
- Initial Training Sessions - State Wide Listing
- Date for Local Initial Training
- April 16 - 8:30 am - Holt County Courthouse Annex, O'Neill - Categories Offered are 00 - 04 - 09
- Recertification Training Sessions - State Wide Listing
- Dates for Local Recertification Training
- February 13 - 8:30 am - Holt County Courthouse Annex, O'Neill - Categories Offered are 00 - 04 - 07 - 08 - 14
- March 19 - 8:30 am - Holt County Courthouse Annex, O'Neill - Categories Offered are 00 - 01 - 04 - 05 - 07 - 09
- Walk-In Testing Dates - State Wide Lising (Exams must start between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.)
- Dates For Local Walk-In Testing (Exams must start between 9:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m.)
- May 6 - Holt County Courthouse Annex, O'Neill
- June 2 - Holt County Courthouse Annex, O'Neill
- NDA Computerized Testing Services
- Purchase Study Materials — A new option is available this year for potential commercial/noncommercial applicators to study for their initial (first-time) certification. This Marketplace allows you to order PSEP study materials online with a credit card. We recommend purchasing the General Standards (00) manual, plus any category manual(s) you will need. The
- List of Commercial/Noncommercial Categories (57 kb pdf - 1 page direct download)
Private Applicator — A licensed applicator who uses any restricted use pesticide (RUP) for purposes of producing any agricultural commodity on property owned or rented by him/her or his/her employer, or to apply on the property of another person without compensation (other than trading of personal services between producers of agricultural commodities).
Private Applicator Recertification
Private applicators whose licenses are due to expire 4/15/2020 will receive a reminder letter from NDA in mid-December. It is important to bring that letter with you to your training meeting. Applicators who do not bring this letter will be required to stay after the meeting to fill out additional paperwork.
Private applicator training meetings can be found at pested.unl.edu – look for “Certification and Training” in the top header.
- Private Applicator Training Dates - State Wide List - (View the Private PSEP schedule of dates for certification/recertification training (sort by clicking on county, date, time, etc., on the black bar at the top of the schedule).
- Online private self-study program *UPDATED*
Certification Requirements for Private Applicators
See NDA’s Applicator Certification and Licensing page for more information.
Reminder: Please notify NDA when you have a change of address in order to receive pesticide recertification information from the UNL Pesticide Safety Education office prior to your license expiration - 402-471-2351.
Private Record Keeping Form (PDF 61 KB) - This form can be printed and used by private applicators to keep records of RUP and GUP applications.
Search for registered pesticides in Nebraska - NDA database of pesticides registered for use in Nebraska.
Reciprocal Certification with Nebraska - Persons who live outside of Nebraska may obtain a license from NDA if they hold valid credentials from a state, agency, or tribe that NDA has a reciprocal agreement with.
Nebraska Department of Agriculture Dicamba Webpage
The NDA Dicamba page includes information on label statement clarification, endangered species habitat information, temperature inversions and required applicator training.
- Dicamba Label-Required Training - this link has FAQ on RUP Dicamba, Training Opportunities, and Resources
Does the Worker Protection Standard Apply to Me?
If you work in agriculture, the answer is most likely YES! The Worker Protection Standard (WPS) is a federal law, similar to OSHA, intended to protect employees from hazards in the workplace. Specifically, WPS seeks to protect farmworkers from the potential dangers of pesticide exposure. It is a complex regulation that affects nearly everyone involved in agriculture. To find out if WPS applies to you, see the questionnaire, “Does the WPS apply to you?” In addition, Pesticide Educational Resources Collaborative (PERC; pesticideresources.org) has a whole host of training materials for farmworkers, detasselers, pesticide applicators, crop advisors, etc. If you still have questions, see the NDA WPS page, or feel free to call at NDA (402-471-2351) to help guide you through your responsibilities and protections under WPS.
PERC now has a collection of WPS-related tools and resources on a thumb drive (available for $99.00 plus shipping). In places where you can’t rely on internet access, this data storage drive gets the job done. The thumb drives would make an excellent take-home reference for employers learning about the WPS. Included on the thumb drive (which can be ordered here):
- WPS Pesticide Safety Training Videos – All versions in HD quality, English and Spanish
- WPS Ag Employer Handbook – English and Spanish
- WPS Worker Training Flip Charts – English, Spanish, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, and Vietnamese
- WPS Posters for “Central Posting” area – English, Spanish, Chinese, Haitian Creole, Russian, Spanish, Tagalog, Vietnamese, and Karen
- WPS How-to-Comply Manual – English and Spanish
- WPS Respiratory Protection Guide – English and Spanish
- Training PowerPoints: Train the Trainer, Training for Handlers, Training for Workers, all available in English and Spanish
- WPS: A Manual for Trainers – English and Spanish