Makership CampJuly 1st-3rd & July 8th-12th, 10:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Beatrice Public Library
Youth entering grades 5-9
Pre-register by June 21st
- Method & Program Details:
Nebraska Extension has teamed up with Beatrice Public Library Innovation Makerspace to provide an 8-day camp with a mix of maker experiences, community involvement and entrepreneurship skill development culminating in a "showcase market" the final day where youth can sell their products to the general public.
The camp takes place on July 1-3 and July 8-12, while it is suggested that youth attend all days, it is not required. We aim to provide the best possible experience for our youth, so we open this experience up to youth entering grades 5-9 (in the 2019-20 school year), because of the nature of the machinery utilized and the concepts covered.
Youth are asked to provide a sack lunch each day they are in attendance to reduce the program costs.
Tuition covers maker materials ($75) and curriculum ($25). Scholarships may be available on a needs basis.
- Program Objectives:
- Build skills to properly and safely create with Makerspace equipment including: 3-D Printer, Vinyl Cutter, Laser Cutter, and Heat Press.
- Use creative confidence through design thinking experience to create products utilizing skills learned in Makerspace that are useful for their customers
- Learn entrepreneurship skills and processes through the marketing of products
- Utilize their computer/web-based skills to create tangible, real-world items using the engineer design process of prototyping, testing, and improvising in virtual reality and in-person
Registration is required for participation. Pre-register by June 21. Tuition is due at the beginning of the Makership Camp. Registration will be open to the first 20 participants who sign-up, additional registrants will be placed on a waitlist.
- Requirements for Participant
Participants/Parents/Guardians are required to fill out forms for participation including: Nebraska 4-H Health Form, COPPA Parental Consent Form, Transportation Waiver. These forms are explained further in the "Participant Resources Tab" (above). A hard copy of the filled out forms will be required for participation on the first day of Makership Camp.
Additionally, participants will need to have [or have access to] a Google Account. We will be using Google Classroom, Google Drive (Docs, Forms, Sheets) and Google Sites during our Camp. Please make sure the participant knows the Google Account address (Gmail address) and password. For more information or assistance with setting up a Google Account, consult the "Participant Resources Tab" (above).
The tentative schedule and duration of activites can be found by clicking here.
Introduction to Design thinking
Print Ur Fix
Intro to Entrepreneuship (e-ship)
Customer Feedback & Validation
Finance & Pricing
Branding & Marketing
|Day 5||Work Day - Product Development, Branding|
Work Day - Product Develoment, Branding
Merchandising - Web Presence, Booth
Planning for Future
Registration is required for participation. Tuition is due at the beginning of the Makership Camp. Registration will be open to the first 20 participants who sign-up, additional registrants will be placed on a waitlist.
Pre-registration due by June 21st.
Volunteers & Sponsorships
Makership Camp is seeking adult volunteers, with entrepreneurial/business related skills and a growth mindset to assist as "Sprint Mentors". As a Sprint Mentor, your role will be engaging with youth program participants during the activities and providing feedback and encouraging guidance relating to their businesses and products/services.
The time committment is short and the engagement fast paced - just like a "Sprint", but we hope the nature of the engagement will provide opportunities for the youth participants to interact and foster relationships with adult mentors from their community.
To sign-up to be a "Sprint Mentor", click here.
Nebraska Extension is seeking donations and sponsorships to support Makership Camp.
|Type of Sponsorship:||Amount Needed:|
|Participant Tutition (scholarships)||$100/participant|
|Camp Supplies & Materials||$300|
|Breaks (Snacks & Drinks)||$30/day ($240 total)|
|Market Place Community Event||$150|
|Mileage for Presenters||$500|
To sponsor part of Makership Camp or support through a donation, please contact Jacie Milius (402)223-1384 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Requirements for Participation
Participants/Parents/Guardians are required to fill out forms for participation including:
- Nebraska 4-H Health Form - this information is needed in the event of an emergency. It includes general health information including immunizations, conditions, and emergency contact information.
- COPPA Parental Consent Form - the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, or COPPA, protects the personal information of children under the age of 13. To comply with COPPA, we must get parental permission before allowing children under the age of 13 to utilize some of the software needed in the makerspace. The software applications that require the Parental Consent Form include,[but are not limited to]: Google Suite and TinkerCAD.
- Transportation Waiver - this waiver acknowledges that you understand that we may leave the Beatrice Public Library to visit local entrepreneurs at their business either through walking, University-owned transportation, or Volunteer's personal vehicles.
Additionally, participants will need to have [or have access to] a Google Account. We will be using Google Classroom, Google Drive (Docs, Forms, Sheets) and Google Sites during our Camp. Please set this account up prior to attending Makership Camp. It will be helpful if the participant knows the Google Account address (Gmail address) and password.
Information on setting up a Google Account can be found at: https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/27441?hl=en
For additional assistance, please contact Jacie Milius (402)223-1384 or email@example.com
Google Classroom Site:
Throughout the duration of Makership Camp, we will be utilizing Google Classroom to post self-guided activities and resources. Participants will need to sign-in and join the Makership Camp Classroom to access these materials. Parents are welcome to join also. Feel free to join anytime after you register for Makership Camp.
To sign-in to the Google Classroom for Makership Camp follow these instructions.
To join the Makership Camp Classroom, enter the Class Code: Op6v1im
As part of the program, you are "loaned" $75 for materials to make your products. Don't worry, you are not required to pay this loan off at the end of the week! Although, we do want you to think of this money as a "loan". Many entrepreneurs need to secure a loan prior to beginning their business and must pay back their loan before they can make a profit. At the end of the week, when we host the Marketplace, money that you make over the $75 is profit, while anything under that $75 is "paying off your loan". Just to be clear though, you DO NOT have to pay us $75 irregardless if your business profits or not!
Just a reminder - to reduce program costs, we are unable to provide lunch for program participants, so please bring a sack lunch each day when you come to Makership Camp.
Questions or Comments, Please Contact:
Jacie Milius at Nebraska Extension in Gage County
(402) 223-1384 - Office Phone
(402) 984-7613 - Cell Phone