2017 Frontier County 4-H Achievement Day Invitation
All 4-H Families & Friends are invited!!
When: November 5th, Sunday at 4:00pm
Where: Curtis Memorial Community Center
201 Garlick Ave., Curtis, NE
4:00 pm Awards /Program Followed by
FREE Taco Bar Meal hosted/provided by:
Happy Helpers 4-H Club & Medicine Creek Wranglers 4-H Club
Bring: One salad or dessert per family (enough to serve 8-12)
RSVP approximately how many will be attending for a food count.
Call or email Nebraska Extension- Frontier County Office
by November 1, Wednesday 5:00 pm
308-367-4424 or firstname.lastname@example.org
4-H Member Awards will be given out at this program along with other special recognition of
4-H leaders, project leaders, years of service awards & community supporters.
Career portfolio cash awards will be announced & record books can be picked up by 4-Hers and/or leaders.
4-H premium checks will be available for 4-H members to pick up. Checks can only be given to the 4-H member or one of their parents. (This is a County 4-H Council policy.) Premium checks ranged from $1.25 to $105.00 this year. Great job 4-Hers!!
1) National 4-H Week is October 1-7, 2017 and this year’s theme is “Grow True Leaders”
2) Paper Clover Promotion October 4-15, 2017
3) Martha and Don Romeo Scholarship
4) Don’t Forget to Write Thank You Notes!
5) State 4-H Club of the Month
6) New Livestock Committee Being Started
7) Horse Advancement Level Testing
8) State Cat Club Free Online Workshops
9) National Western Catch-A-Calf
10) Catch-a-Lamb 2018
11) 2018 Poultry Calendar
12) Record Book Judges
13) 4-H Career Portfolio Record Books Were Due Sept 30
14) Club Leader News
15) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
16) 2018 Fair Dates
4-H CONTEST / EVENT OPPORTUNITIES
1) National 4-H Week is October 1-7, 2017 and this year’s theme is “Grow True Leaders.” National 4-H Week is a time to celebrate and to showcase the incredible experiences that 4-H offers young people across the country. For the 75th consecutive year, millions of youth, parents, volunteers and alumni across the country will be celebrating National 4-H Week, October 1-7, 2017, with the theme of “Grow True Leaders.”
Two simple things we can all do to promote Frontier County 4-H:
1 Invite other youth & adult volunteers to join our local Frontier County 4-H program!
2 Use social media to showcase 4-H during these special time frames, use the following hashtags to maximize the visibility of your posts: #TrueLeaders -- posts related to National 4-H Week,
#NE4H – any post related to 4-H in Nebraska.
2) Paper Clover Promotion October 4-15, 2017 Two times a year, National 4-H Council partners with the nation's leading rural lifestyle retailer, Tractor Supply Company (TSC), to host a national Paper Clover Promotion! The Paper Clover Promotion is a consumer-driven fundraising promotion where customers at your local Tractor Supply can support 4-H by purchasing a paper clover for $1 at the checkout. The Fall Paper Clover Promotion will be held from Wednesday, October 4, through Sunday, October 15, 2017. 4-H Clubs are encouraged to participate in store during the event to help increase fundraising dollars and be entered into the Paper Clover Participation Sweepstakes. More information can be found at http://4h.unl.edu/newsletterarticles/fall-2017-paper-clover-fundraiser-october-4-15-2017.
3) Martha and Don Romeo Scholarship The Nebraska Association of Fair Managers will award a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H male and a $500 scholarship to one qualifying 4-H female who are graduating seniors in the State of Nebraska and who plan to continue with post high school education. The scholarship will be awarded at the annual NAFM convention in January. Applications can be picked up and are due in the Extension Office by December 1, 2017. Contact Extension office for more information.
4) Don’t Forget to Write Thank You Notes! The 4-H program is successful because of all the volunteers that give their time and talent. Remember to send thank you notes to those that have helped with 4-H this past year. Livestock exhibitors need to send thank you cards to the buyer(s) that purchased your animals. It is important to say thank you to these people if you want their continued support in future sales.
5) State 4-H Club of the Month The Nebraska 4-H Foundation provides the 4-H Club of the Month program to all Nebraska 4-H clubs throughout the state. Clubs can nominate themselves by telling why their club should be chosen. A different club will be chosen each month and will be awarded with a certificate and $50 cash card. For more information go to the Nebraska 4-H Foundation website at http://www.ne4hfoundation.org/recognition or e-mail email@example.com
We encourage Frontier County 4-H clubs to apply!!! There is lots of community service and good things happening within our county’s 4-H clubs & independent members!! Brag about yourselves and earn money.
4-H COUNCIL NEWS
6) New Livestock Committee Being Started Do you have an interest in livestock, 4-H youth & working together as a team? Join the new Frontier County 4-H Livestock Committee. Everyone is invited including 4-H parents/grandparents, non 4-H parents/grandparents, fair board members and other 4-H community supporters.
The ongoing team will have several duties, but members do not have to be involved in all.
-give suggestions to county 4-H Council to update the county fair book’s livestock policy/procedures;
-assist Extension Staff with county winter weigh days, fair check in, weigh in & determining classes;
-assist at the fair livestock shows;
-help with livestock sale and other areas if needed
- help develop other county 4-H livestock contests
NOTE: The Frontier County 4-H Council has final approval of 4-H livestock policies /procedures but this team will be able to give expertise livestock advice as decisions are being made.
All 4-H small and large livestock will be included. If interested in joining please contact the Extension office at 367-4424 by November 6. The committee will be getting together soon after County Achievement Day so suggestions can be brought to the January 15, 2018 4-H Council meeting. 2018 county fair plans need to be determined ASAP. Come volunteer your time and talents!
LIVESTOCK & SMALL ANIMAL NEWS
7) Horse Advancement Level Testing Frontier Riders 4-H Club invites ALL COUNTY 4-H members to Horse Advancement Levels 1 & 2 testing (Riding only) October 14, Saturday 8:00-12:00 noon at Curtis Mill Park. (Weather Permitting). For more information contact Shelly Veldhuizen at 641-891-4675.
8) State Cat Club Free Online Workshops Any 4-H member may join the meetings from home to watch and participate in the session. Each month the meeting lasts for 1 hour and covers a different topic about cats. Sessions are broken up into about three segments with worksheets or activities to test their learning between each. Meetings are the second Thursday of the month at 6pm CST. Information is available here: http://4h.unl.edu/companion-animal/cat-club
9) National Western Catch-A-Calf is open to any Nebraska 4-H member between 12-18 years old. NWSS CAC program is an excellent learning opportunity in the beef cattle industry. Go to: NationalWestern.com for more information.
10) Catch-a-Lamb 2018 Due March 1, 2018. Contact the Extension for application.
See rules below:
CATCH-A-LAMB RULES: 4-H’er must be 8, 9, or 10 years old January 1, 2018. Need to enroll in Frontier County 4-H by April 15, 2018. 2018 must be the first year showing a lamb (excluding Clover Kid experience.) Application must be picked up, filled out, and returned to the extension office by March 1, 2018. Lambs MUST be picked up at Sheep Weigh/Tagging Day, Spring 2018. Lamb must be sold and 25% of sale price MUST be returned to the Frontier County 4-H Council.
Judging criteria: 20% record book 4-H F93 submitted on entry day; 20% two letters to program sponsor – one at the beginning thanking the sponsor, and a progress letter to the sponsor (include a story about your project and what you have learned this year about sheep from this lamb.); 20% rate of gain; 20% class placing and/or ribbon (20 pts – purple, 15 pts – blue, 10 pts – red, and 5 pts – white); 20% Showmanship ribbon (20 pts – purple, 15 pts – blue, 10 pts – red, and 5 pts – white).
11) 2018 Poultry Calendar Any Frontier County 4-H family want a free copy of the new 2018 NE Dept. of Agriculture Poultry calendar? Great poultry photos!!! There are 3 copies in the office, but we can order more if needed, so contact the office ASAP.
OTHER 4-H NEWS
12) Record Book Judges Anyone wanting to help judge (or learn more about judging) county record books are welcome! (Thanks to those who already agreed to help!) Judging career portfolios, selecting county 4-H king/queen and other county awards selection will take place October 12 morning and evening. Free pizza for those attending. If interested, contact the Extension Office by October 11.
13) 4-H Career Portfolio Record Books Were Due Sept 30 Thanks to those who submitted record books this year!! (You have a head start on your high school & college careers while reflecting your 4-H skills and progression over the years.)
CLUB LEADER NEWS
14) Club Leader News Leaders -- Please use this newsletter as a way to get information out to your members. You need to submit any news to the extension office by the end of the month in order to have it appear in the next newsletter.
15) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
1 -7 National 4-H Week
12 - Record Book Judging & Special Award Selection
14 - Horse Advancement Levels 1 & 2 testing
5 - 4-H Achievement & Annual Meeting @ Curtis Memorial Community Center, 4:00 p.m.
16) 2018 Fair Dates- Mark your 2018 calendars- Frontier County Fair in Stockville July 25-29 and Eustis Fair & Corn Show is August 1-4 for 4-H events/contests.
Like us on Facebook Nebraska Extension Frontier County or go to county website at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/frontier/educational-programs/frontier-county-4-h for more detailed information, forms, etc.
Enjoy the October colors and Happy Harvest!!
October 2017 4-H Newsletter
2017 Frontier County 4-H Achievement Day Invitation