1) All Clover Kid, Clothing, Photography, Beef, Sheep, Swine, Goat, Horse Rabbit & Poultry Exhibitors
2) County Entry Deadlines
3) 2018 County Fairbook
4) 2018 County Fair Book: DRESS CODE
5) Entry Day Schedule for Static 4-H exhibits (Foods, Home Environment, Ag Misc, Robotics, Etc)
6) Upcoming Summer Programs
7) State Fair Volunteer Recruitment
8) Home Environment Support Information for Fair Exhibits
9) 4-H Family and Consumer Science Quiz-County
10) Next Council Meeting
11) Dog/Cat County Fair 4-H Exhibitors
12) Round Robin Contest
13) District & State Horse Show
14) Frontier County Food Stand in Curtis During District Horse Show
15) Needed More Shooting Sports Leaders for Next Year
16) 2018 County Shooting Sports Contest
17) Sharp Shooters 4-H Club Facebook Page
18) Club Leader News
19) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
20) Frontier County Achievement Date- October 21
21) Nebraska 4-H State Fair August 24 September 3
22) AKSARBEN September 27-30
23) 4-H Project Manuals Can be Returned
Hello Frontier County 4-H Families & Supporters!
1) Attention All Clover Kid, Clothing, Photography, Beef, Sheep, Swine, Goat, Horse Rabbit & Poultry
Exhibitors: Letters about fair entries and other important details was recently mailed out. If you did not get these
letters, call the Extension office ASAP.
2) County Entry Deadlines
July 5 - Thursday Pre-registration DUE for Clothing Construction, Shopping in Style & Fashion Revue
July 5 - Thursday Pre-registration DUE for Photography Exhibits
July 13 - Friday Pre-register exhibits for STOCKVILLE FAIR
July 13 - Friday Pre-register exhibits for EUSTIS FAIR
Stockville - late entries accepted July 14-18 with a $25.00 late charge fee.
Eustis – late entries accepted July 14-18 with a $25.00 late charge fee.
3 ) 2018 County Fair Book
- Save this as a reference all year long.
- Notice changes in livestock, foods, clothing, shooting sports & a few other sections.
- Online at https://extension.unl.edu/statewide/frontier/fairbook2 along with entry tags and forms.
Some exhibits in the Family and Consumer Science area and other static exhibits require supporting information,
such as recipes in the food project areas and informational sheets in Home Environment and Child Development.
Some things to watch for:
- Woodworking plans
- Rocket specification information from package
- Photography Data Tags
- Display sizes
- Home Environment Design Elements and Design Principles
- Supporting information
Read your fair book carefully to see if your exhibits requires additional information
4) 2018 County Fair Book: DRESS CODE – All 4-H exhibitors are REQUIRED to wear the official county 4-H
T-shirts sponsored by Farm Bureau. This INCLUDES those interview judging for the static exhibits. (Static
projects include food, home environment, gardening, agriculture, etc.) Livestock 4-H exhibitors are REQUIRED
to wear dark blue jeans, hard-soled shoes or boots as well. NO hats, caps or other types of headgear are to be worn
in the show ring (except for horse). Only 4-H’ers exhibiting in the horse show will not wear official county T-shirt.
Horse Show attire MUST follow the dress code requirements found in the current “Nebraska Horse Show &
5) Entry Day Schedule for Static 4-H exhibits (Foods, Home Environment, Ag Misc, Robotics, Etc):
Stockville Entry Day
July 24 – Tuesday 4:00 pm - 7:00 pm
4-H Static Exhibits Entered & Judged including rockets/4-H Clover Kid entries (no pets)
Eustis Entry Day
August 1 - Wednesday 3:00 pm - 6:00 pm 4-H Exhibits/Clover Kids Entries Entered & Judged
4:00 pm - 5:00 pm Rabbit & Poultry Entry
4-Hers and Clover Kids will sign in upon arriving at the North Main Building (Stockville) or the 4-H Building
(Eustis). When your name is called, you will talk to the judge about your exhibits. Make sure you bring ALL THE
SUPPORTING material. (Refer to 2018 County Fair Book). Please have patience and remember to smile for judge!
NOTES: There is NO food stand at the fairgrounds on July 24 in Stockville or August 1 at Eustis. 4-H members are
to wear the official county 4-H T-shirts sponsored by Farm Bureau for interviews.
Stockville: judging will be in North Main (air conditioned) Building and then will be moved to 4-H Building for
4-H CONTEST / EVENT OPPORTUNITIES
6) Upcoming Summer Programs (Contact Extension Office if questions)
July 10 -4-H Showmanship Clinic and Round Robin Workshop- Stockville 6:00-8:00 pm for ALL 4-H
members and adults. No registration, just show up that evening. FREE
Aug 8 - Agronomy Youth Field Day for ALL youth ages 9-18 years old– Curtis. Register online at:
https://go.unl.edu/agronomyyouthfieldday by August 3, 2018 or call the office. FREE
7) State Fair Volunteer Recruitment: Do you want to spend a few hours at the state fair as an important part
of the 4-H programming going on during the fair? We need your help! Nebraska 4-H is looking for volunteers to
help with exhibit entry day, judging, and serving as 4-H exhibit building hosts. Volunteers will also be needed to
serve as the Lil’ Green Mascot and an event photographer. We also need people to assist with all 4-H contests and
events throughout the fair. State Fair 4-H volunteers will receive a gate pass for the day(s) they volunteer.
Volunteers can sign-up by completing the 4-H Volunteer Interest Form available online at
https://go.unl.edu/2018statefairvolunteer by Aug 15.
More information can be found at https://4h.unl.edu/state-fair/volunteer. If you have questions about being a 4-H
volunteer at the Nebraska State Fair, please contact: Cathy Johnston, Extension Educator, email@example.com or
(402) 472-1762. We look forward to seeing you in Grand Island
8) Home Environment Support Information For Fair Exhibits: (Page 17 of fair book) Supporting
information is REQUIRED for all Home Environment exhibits. Information MUST also include the
elements and principles of design used and steps taken to complete project. Tag templates can be found on
4-H State Fair website: https://unl.box.com/s/toup6mp99jpkzepy9bqupwltwu2841yk and/or county website
9) 4-H Family & Consumer Science Quiz – County: This statewide 2018 quiz will be available during the
clothing/photography day – July 13. The quiz is for ALL 4-Hers to take if they choose. The quiz will be scored and
ribbons/premium money will be given to participants. It’s a great way to learn and review family consumer
material. This quiz helps prepare youth for the statewide Life Challenge Contest. I plan to take a team to the 2019
contest in Lincoln at the end of June.
4-H COUNCIL NEWS
10) Next Council Meeting - Monday, July 16 at 7:30 p.m. in Eustis at 4-H Building. Please contact a 4-H Council
member with concerns or suggestions.
LIVESTOCK & SMALL ANIMAL NEWS
11) Dog/Cat County Fair 4-H Exhibitors- Don’t forget to bring a copy of your dog and/or cat vaccination record
with you to July 25 County Fair Dog Show in Stockville or August 2 Small Animal County Fair Show in Eustis.
12) Round Robin Contest- All 2018 Frontier County Fair grand champion and reserve champion Senior
Division livestock exhibitors (beef, pigs, sheep, rabbit & poultry) will be eligible to compete July 28 (Saturday) at
5:00 pm for the title “Top Frontier County Livestock Exhibitor” The top 2 winners will receive a belt buckle
donated by Nebraska Western Bank and Andy/Amy Houser. The public is invited to come watch the top county
4-H livestock exhibitors show all five species. The contest helps encourage senior level 4-H exhibitors to remain in
4-H throughout high school years.
13) District & State Horse Show – Five horse members (Sydney Veldhuizen, Kiley Hejtmanek, Kaylyn
Roblee, Clayton Veldhuizen, Hallee Sheffield) competed very well on June 22nd at districts and all five qualified for
the State Horse Show in Grand Island July 15-19. Good luck at state!
14) Frontier County Food Stand in Curtis During District Horse Show- Thanks to everyone that worked,
donated food items or purchased food during the horse show. The stand profited $437 to be used for new county
4-H dog equipment and shooting sports equipment. Special thanks to volunteer Amy Houser for organizing the
SHOOTING SPORTS NEWS
15) Needed More Shooting Sports Leaders For Next Year: Any adults interested in becoming certified need to
contact Kathy or any shooting sports leader. The 4-H Council will pay your certification fees for one discipline.
NEXT TRAINING October 20-21 in Hastings, NE. More details coming or go to: https://4h.unl.edu/shootingsports.
16) 2018 County Contest:
July 21 - Saturday 8:00 am 1st Part 4-H Shooting Sports Archery, BB Gun, Air Pistol, & Air Rifle Contest –
Frontier County Fairgrounds
1:00 pm – Small Bore Rifle .22 Caliber – Frontier County Fairgrounds (Awards will be
given after contest.)
July 23 - Monday 6:30 pm Shotgun Contest – Curtis Gun Club (Awards will be given that evening.)
July 25 - Wednesday 9:00 am 2nd Part 4-H Shooting Sports Archery, BB Gun, Air Pistol, & Air Rifle Contest –
Frontier County Fairgrounds (Awards will be given after contest.)
At least four practices need to be attended for EACH DISCIPLINE to be able to compete in the county contest in
July. So plan now and have fun learning a LIFE SKILL!
17) Sharp Shooters 4-H Club Facebook Page for latest club news and any schedule changes join the club's
facebook page: Frontier County Sharpshooters. Share this with others!!
CLUB LEADER NEWS
18) Club Leader News - Leaders -- Please use this newsletter as a way to get information out to your members.
You need to submit any news to the extension office by the end of the month in order to have it appear in the next
19) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
JULY 5 – Due- Registration for Clothing
5 – Due- Registration for Photography
13 – Due – Registration for Frontier County Fair-Stockville AND Eustis Fair
13 – Fashion Show & Clothing Construction Judging – Curtis
13 – Photography Judging – Curtis
15-19 – State 4-H Exposition- Grand Island
18 – NO entries accepted for Frontier County Fair and Eustis Fair after this date
21 – 1st half of 4-H Shooting Sports Contest
23 – Shotgun Contest at Curtis Gun Club
24-29 – Frontier County Fair in Stockville
AUG 1-4 – Eustis Fair and Corn Show
10 - DUE - State Fair Entries including Livestock AKSARBEN entries due
22 - State Fair Entry Day
24-Sept 3 - NEBRASKA STATE FAIR - GRAND ISLAND
17 - 4-H Council Meeting– Curtis @ 7:30 pm –Ed Center Rm 129
27-30 - AKSARBEN Livestock Show – Grand Island
30 - DUE - 4-H Career Portfolios
30 - DUE - 4-H Leader Project Summary & Club Summary
20) Frontier County Achievement Date has been changed to Sunday- October 21 4:00 pm Eustis 4-H
Building, due to Kathy needing to be gone 1st week of November. More details later. SAVE THE DATE!!
21) Nebraska 4-H State Fair August 24-Sept 3
–Visit State Fair Book for information about 4-H static and animal exhibits, as well as in-person contests and
competitions happening during the State Fair. The fair book contains rules, classes, eligibility, and judging
information for all 4-H events happening at this year's Nebraska State Fair. https://4h.unl.edu/state-fair
22) AKSARBEN September 27-30 in Grand Island with the Horse Show taking place the weekend before,
September 22-23. In 2018, there will be no broiler, rabbit and diary shows. Latest updates: aksarbenstockshow.com
Facebook: AKSARBEN 2018
23) 4-H Project Manuals can be returned to the office, if your family is done with them. We’ll give them to
another family to use. Thanks for helping the 4-H Council save
July 2018 4-H Newsletter