We all survived the 2020 COVID19 Frontier County Fairs!! Thank you to all 4-H’ers, parents, grandparents, guardians, volunteers, and businesses who make the Frontier County 4-H Program & County fairs happen! Our AWESOME volunteers from the Ag Societies, 4-H Council, Extension Board, Superintendents, and many others are noticed & appreciated! It takes involvement and contributions from everyone to make the Frontier County Fair in Stockville, the Eustis Fair & Corn Show, and the Frontier County 4-H program happen. Every job/task (big or small) is important to the 4-H program, fairs, our community spirit, and to our youth! Life skills are learned through many great volunteers!
1) Congratulations to all the 4-Her’s
2) Don’t Forget to Write a Thank You
3) Nebraska 4-H Achievement Award Application-Due Sept 30
4) SAVE THE DATE-4-H Achievement Application Workshop August 12
5) Outstanding 4-H Member Award
6) Outstanding 4-H Awards including 4-H Leader, Alum, or Extra Mile-Due Sept 30
7) Record Book Judges Needed
8) 4-H Achievement Day – November 1, Sunday 4:00pm
9) Next 4-H Council Meeting
10) More Certified County Shooting Sports Leaders Always Needed
11) AKSARBEN Entries
12) State Fair livestock and in person event entries DUE AUGUST 10
13) 2020 Nebraska State Fair (Special Message from State 4-H Office)
14) 4-H Project Manuals
15) 4-H Club News
16) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
1) Congratulations to all the 4-Her’s who completed a 4-H county project and to those that will exhibit at the 2020 Nebraska State Fair!! I hope you plan to travel to Grand Island to see our county exhibit booth and to get ideas for next year. State Fair Static & Livestock information can be found at: https://4h.unl.edu/state-fair This year’s event is August 28-Sept 7, 2020.
2) Don’t Forget to Write a Thank You- The 4-H program is successful because of all the volunteers that give their time and talent. Remember to send thank you notes to those that have helped with 4-H this past year. Livestock exhibitors need to send thank you cards to the buyer(s) that purchased your animals. It’s important to send thank you notes to donors for any 4-H award or gift. We need to say thank you to these people if you want their continued support in future sales & donations. Our GRATITUDE needs to be expressed!
4-H CONTEST / EVENT OPPORTUNITIES
3) Nebraska 4-H Achievement Award Application (Record Books) Due September 30 - Recordkeeping is an important skill. Thank you to First Central Bank in Curtis for again sponsoring the 4-H BEST RECORD BOOK CASH AWARDS that are given to those 4-Her’s who submit a 4-H Achievement Award Application record book this year. High school seniors can use the same application to apply for Nebraska 4-H Foundation college scholarships. The simple 4-H Achievement Award Application is available at: https://4h.unl.edu/achievement-application. Deadline to submit application is Sept 30 to county office. If you need help filling out the 4-H Achievement Award Application or want examples, contact Kathy. Once a 4-H’er starts recording 4-H projects & activities, it will be easy to fill the award application each year. Get started now! (Included in this mailing is the Frontier County Medal Award Form that goes in the front of application & helpful hints when putting your records together). (Career Portfolios will NOT be accepted). For more info on the college scholarships go to: https://www.ne4hfoundation.org/scholarships/
4) SAVE THE DATE-4-H Achievement Application (new 4-H Record Book) Workshop August 12 (Wednesday) in Curtis – NCTA Ed Center Room 131 7:00-8:30 pm. For all 4-H’ers and adults to learn the new statewide 4-H record book process! It is easy and online at: https://4h.unl.edu/achievement-application. Come get hints and samples! Let Kathy know by August 11 if you plan to attend. Call the Extension office or email email@example.com.
5) Outstanding 4-H Member Award – Leaders/ Independent Members, do you have someone in your club/family, you would like to nominate for the Outstanding 4-H’er Award? If you have a senior member or one that has been in 4-H for ten years, you might want to nominate him/her. A nomination form is enclosed that should be turned back into the office by September 30, 2020. The guidelines for this award are:
1. Variety of projects and activities 15%
2. Leadership in passing skills to younger ones 25%
3. Other leadership (community, school, church) 25%
4. Role model for younger 4-H’ers (high moral values) 25%
5. Positive attitude 10%
6) Outstanding 4-H Awards including 4-H Leader, Alum, or Extra Mile! – We have several great 4-H volunteers in Frontier County! Recognize their hard work by nominating them for this award. A nomination form is enclosed & needs turned in to the office by September 30, 2020 for these leadership awards. Make copies of this as needed. One form per nomination. These awards can be a surprise if requested. Awards are presented at 4-H Achievement Day on November 1, 2020.
7) Record Book Judges Needed- Anyone (adult & youth) wanting to help judge (or learn more about judging) county record books are welcome! Judging and other award selection will take place early October during the day/evening. There will be free pizza for those attending. Contact the Extension Office by September 15, if interested.
8) 4-H Achievement Day – November 1st, Sunday 4:00pm - Mark your calendars for this year’s Frontier County Achievement Award program. It will be held in Stockville with Frontier Riders 4-H Club hosting. Everyone is invited. More details later.
4-H COUNCIL NEWS
9) Next 4-H Council Meeting - The next council meeting will be September 21 at 7:30 pm in Curtis. Please contact a 4-H Council member with concerns or suggestions. Ideas for 2021 County Fairs will be discussed.
SHOOTING SPORTS NEWS
10) More Certified County Shooting Sports Leaders Always Needed to help teach our youth. We have great leaders, but we need MORE willing to become certified. Go to NE 4-H Shooting sports website: https://4h.unl.edu/shooting-sports to find upcoming training dates across Nebraska. 4-H Council will reimburse training fee. Contact Kathy or any certified leader for more information.
LIVESTOCK & SMALL ANIMAL NEWS
11) AKSARBEN Entries - Check AKSARBEN website for Deadlines : https://www.aksarbenstockshow.com/.
OTHER 4-H NEWS
12) State Fair livestock and in person entries Due- families need to enter their animals and contests by AUGUST 10 at this link: https://statefair.org/competitions-and-participate/competitions/4-h-ffa-exhibitors.
13) 2020 Nebraska State Fair (Special Message from State 4-H Office) - All 4-H exhibits, contests, and livestock shows will be hosted at the 2020 Nebraska State Fair. We will be celebrating 4-H on NEW days this year as all contests and livestock shows will be opening weekend, August 29th and 30th.We are also incredibly excited to display the amazing showcase of the static items that qualified for State Fair at their local county fairs. Annually, we display over 7,500 items from youth statewide and this year our showcase will be held in the Pinnacle Bank Expo Building. Our static exhibits will be on display the entire duration of the fair, building opening and closing times are not yet confirmed.
As many of you know, it takes an army of our dedicated staff and volunteers to judge and display the static exhibits, so with regard to complying with current recommendations for social distancing, we will not be conducting a traditional judging and display process in 2020. This means that each individual exhibit won’t be evaluated with a scoresheet and awarded a placing ribbon and premium.
The 2020 plan will include a County Booth Showcase celebrating the best of the best from each county! Each exhibitor will receive a ribbon recognizing their accomplishment of qualifying for the Nebraska State Fair Showcase. We will also have a team of judges who view each exhibit entered in a division and identify a Champion and Reserve Champion Best of Show for each project area division. We recognize this is a significant change for 2020, but we are so excited to continue to be a part of the Nebraska State Fair and have an opportunity showcase the talents of our 4-H exhibitors! The 4-H schedule for the Nebraska State Fair can be found at https://4h.unl.edu/state-fair-schedule
14) 4-H Project Manuals can be returned to office if your family is done with them. We’ll give them to another family to use. Thanks for helping the 4-H council save money!
4-H CLUB NEWS
Leaders can use this newsletter as a way to get information out to your members. You need to submit any news to the Extension Office by the 15th of the month in order to have it appear in the next newsletter.
15) Happy Helpers 4-H Club – will meet the 1st Monday of each month at 4:30 pm at the Berean Church in Curtis.
16) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
10 - Due - State Fair Entries livestock entries due
11 - 4-H Achievement Application (new 4-H Record Book) Workshop Curtis, 7:00 pm
28 - Sept 7 - Nebraska State Fair - Grand Island
21 - 4-H Council Meeting– Curtis @ 7:30 pm –Ed Center Rm 129
TBA - AKSARBEN Livestock Show – Grand Island
30 - Due - 4-H Award Application (Record Books)
30 - Due - 4-H Leader Project Summary & Club Summary
4-10 - National 4-H Week
1 - 4-H Achievement & Annual Meeting- Stockville Fairgrounds
16 - 4-H Council Meeting– Curtis @ 7:30 pm –Ed Center Rm 129
Click on the Nebraska Extension Frontier County website for the latest dates, news and forms at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/frontier/.
Like us on Facebook at Nebraska Extension Frontier County & then SHARE with others!