Wheat variety trial field tours June 8-17 across Nebraska
The University of Nebraska-Lincoln Crop Performance Testing program will sponsor wheat variety trial field tours in seven locations across Nebraska, from Fairbury to Hemingford, from June 8-17.
For those who are unable to attend scheduled in-person events, the plots will be labeled up to a week in advance of the scheduled tour, and the signs will remain until harvest.
Dates, times, locations and directions for the field days:
- JUNE 8, FAIRBURY: Mark Knobel Farm. 6:30- 8 p.m. CDT. Directions: From Fairbury, east on Highway 136, then north on 571st Avenue. Field is on the SE corner of 716th Road and 571st Ave. Self-guided or digital tours available for those who can’t make the scheduled field tour.
- JUNE 14, GRANT: UNL Stumpf International Wheat Center, 10 a.m. MDT: Field tours and research updates by specialists and educators, followed by lunch. Please RSVP to https://go.unl.edu/f90h or call or call 308-696-6727. Directions: From Grant, north on Hwy 61, then west on Rd 761. Turn south on Rd 329. Plot is due east of the Stumpf Farm Building/Perkins County Extension Office.
- JUNE 14, MCCOOK: Peters Seed Farm. 5 p.m. CDT: Tour of both winter and spring wheat variety trials followed by supper. Meet at seed plant (71321 Road 378, McCook) and travel to plot from there. Directions: From Culbertson, south on Hwy 17 for 5 miles. Turn east on Road 713. Plot is approximately 3.5 miles from the highway on the south side of the road (1/2 mile east of the Peters Seed Farm HQ).
- JUNE 15, SIDNEY: UNL High Plains Ag Lab, 3 p.m. MDT: Wheat tour is part of the 50th (+1) Anniversary Celebration. 3 p.m. pea variety tour, then wheat plot tours/presentations begin at 4 p.m., followed by supper, Tailgate Expo, and family events. Directions: From Sidney, north on Hwy 385 and turn west on Rd 32 (at the Huntsman Elevator). Turn north on Rd 111; in 1/3 mile head west on Rd 32N, which will loop slightly. Meet at shop on Road 32N and park on north side of road.
- JUNE 16, BANNER COUNTY: Wyatt Farm. 10 a.m. MDT: Donuts and wheat variety tour. Directions: From the intersection of Hwy 71 and Hwy 4A (that goes to Harrisburg), just over 2 miles west, on the north side of the field.
- JUNE 16, HEMINGFORD: Cullan Seed Farm, 3 p.m. MDT. Irrigated plot tour followed by dryland plot tour at 5 p.m., followed by supper at Cullan Seed Farm Shop. Directions: Irrigated plot is about 2 ½ miles south of Hemingford off Hwy 2. Plot is the second pivot from the highway on the north side of Franklin Road. Dryland plot is about 5 miles south of Hemingford on Hwy 2 at the SW corner of Road 67 and Hall Road.
- JUNE 17, CHAPPELL: V&F Farms, 10 a.m. MDT: Donuts and wheat variety tour. Directions: From Chappell, west on Hwy 30 then north 5 3/4 miles on Rd 189 at the intersection of Road 189 and Road 24.