2021 4-H SPEECH & PSA CONTEST
Friday, May 21
Basement, Security First Bank
1205 Jackson Street, Sidney, NE
Through the 4-H Public Speaking Contest, youth have an opportunity to write a speech or a public service announcement (PSA) that incorporates the topic of 4-H and deliver it to an audience. The 4-H Public Speaking Contest helps youth develop skills for communicating about current issues to real audiences, learn how to organize and prepare a speech, develop speech delivery skills, learn how to present themselves to others, and develop self-confidence.
- Youth must be currently enrolled in 4-H.
- Youth may participate in both the speech and PSA categories.
- Only individuals may compete in the speech or radio PSA competition at the state level.
Three age divisions are used in the 4-H Public Speaking Contest and are based on the 4-H member's age (the age of the youth before January 1 of the current year).
- Junior Division: 4-H ages 8 -9
- Intermediate Division: 4-H ages 10-13
- Senior Division: 4-H ages 14-18
Only Senior Division regional winners in the Intermediate and Senior Divisions in the Speech and PSA categories will advance to the State Public Speaking Contest that will be held in Lincoln, Nebraska on Wednesday, June 30.
Public Service Announcement (PSA)
- All PSA's are 60 seconds in length.
- The state theme for the 2021 Public Service Announcement (PSA) is
"Opportunity 4 All".
- All radio PSA's must promote 4-H and be general enough to be used anywhere in Nebraska at any time of the year.
- All 4-H PSA's must include the following tagline within the last 10 seconds of the PSA: "Learn more about the Nebraska Extension 4-H Youth Development Program at 4h.unl.edu." The tagline is included in the 60 second time limit.
- Sound effects and public domain music may be used. Copyrighted material may not be used.
- All PSA's must be the original work of the presenter. Contestants may not use PSA's written and provided by the state or national staff.
- No team PSA's are allowed.
- Radio PSA's will be submitted electronically in a .wav or .mp3 audio format along with the registration form.
- Length of Speeches:
- Junior Division: 1-3 minutes
- Intermediate Division: 3-5 minutes
- Senior Division: 5-8 minutesAll speeches must be original and include 4-H as the major component of the speech.
- 4-H public speakers may not use the old speech written by a sibling, another 4-H member, or anyone else.
- Acknowledge the source of information used in the speech. For example, an article from a magazine may be used for reference but should not be quoted directly unless you tell the audience your source.
- The use of visual aids and props is not allowed.
- Dress appropriately. Do not wear costumes or special effects clothing.
- No team speeches are allowed.
Speech Judging Criteria
- Subject: 20%
- Organization: 20%
- Delivery: 40%
- General: 20%
Judges will deduct three points from the contestant's speech score for every 30 seconds under or over the time limit (Senior Division only).
PSA Judging Criteria
- Introduction: 20%
- Body: 20%
- Closing: 20%
- General Delivery: 40%
To register please see the 4-H Speech & PSA Flyer.