Every town is an important part of the American storyMake sure your town’s story is told by responding to the 2020 Census—the count of everyone living in the United States. When you do, you’ll also help your town get the most out of the American dream.
Financial Services Program Helps Farmers Make DecisionsA new Nebraska Extension financial services program offers farmers and ranchers across the state tools to utilize existing data to improve decision-making and management in their operations.
Flood ResourcesThe following link provides current resources related to flooding.
Chemigation certification training set in Scottsbluff, Sidney, Bridgeport, Alliance, Valentine
Nebraska Extension will conduct chemigation certification training sessions beginning in February through early June at Scottsbluff, Sidney, Bridgeport, Alliance and Valentine, as well as other sites around Nebraska, such as Ogallala, North Platte and Ainsworth.
Producers who plan to apply crop nutrients and pesticides through irrigation systems during 2020, including those whose 2019 permits expired Dec. 31, are required to attend a training session and pass the test administered afterward. Attendees are asked to pre-register at the extension office whose session they plan to attend. They will receive a training manual and calibration workbook to review before the training session.
On the day of the session, they are asked to bring the manual, calibration workbook, No. 2 pencil, and a calculator. There is no charge. Training and testing will take approximately two to three hours.
More information and a complete schedule of training sessions throughout Nebraska is available at https://water.unl.edu/article/agricultural-irrigation/chemigation
For more information about chemigation requirements in a specific area, contact the local NRD. For answers to questions about the online training program, contact the local Extension office or the Presticide Safety Education Program at 402-472-1632, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Dates, times and locations for the western-most sessions are listed below.
- North Platte, Jan. 29: 1 p.m. CST, West Central Research and Extension Center. Contact 308-696-6783.
- Alliance, Feb. 6: 8:30 a.m. and 1 p.m., Box Butte County Extension Office. Contact 308-762-5616.
- Ogallala, Feb. 11: 1 p.m., Keith County Fairgrounds. Contact 308-696-6783.
- Sidney, Feb. 26: 1 p.m., Cheyenne County Community Center, 627 Toledo St. Contact 308-254-4455.
- Bridgeport, March 12: 1 p.m., Prairie Winds Community Center. Contact 308-632-1480.
- North Platte, March 12: 9 a.m. CST, West Central Research and Extension Center. Contact 308-696-6783.
- Scottsbluff, March 26: 1 p.m., UNL Panhandle Research and Extension Center. Contact 308-632-1480.
- Ainsworth, March 31: 1:30 p.m. CDT, Lutheran Church. Contact 402-336-2760.
- Valentine, April 2: 1:30 p.m., Cherry County Courthouse. Contact 402-336-2760.
- North Platte, April 8: 1 p.m. CDT, West Central Research and Extension Center. Contact 308-696-6783.
- North Platte, May 12: 1 p.m. CDT, West Central Research and Extension Center. Contact 308-696-6783.
- North Platte, June 4: 1 p.m. CDT, West Central Research and Extension Center. Contact 308-696-6783.
Kimball Landlord/Tenant Cash Rent Workshop to Highlight the Latest in Ag Finance, Real Estate Succession
Nebraska Extension’s upcoming workshop will provide the latest leasing, real estate and management information to operators, tenants and landowners in Kimball County.
The Landlord/Tenant Cash Rent Workshop for 2020 and Beyond workshop is scheduled for Wednesday, Jan. 29, 9 a.m., at the 4-H Building on the Kimball County Fairgrounds, 499 S. High School St., in Kimball.
Extension educators Austin Duerfeldt, Jim Jansen and Allan Vyhnalek have collaborated to develop a program that will address agricultural finance and the real estate market, negotiation skills and considerations for leases and strategies for farmland succession and communication.
“Austin, Jim and I have put together an excellent set of topics and have completely rewritten our land management curriculum for this set of workshops,” said Vyhnalek. “We encourage both landowners and farmers to attend to hear about land management in the next decade.
The workshop is free to attend but registration is requested through the office of Nebraska Extension in Kimball, at 308-235-3122
Landlord/Tenant Cash Rent Workshop for 2020 and Beyond:
Wednesday, Jan. 29, 2020, 9 a.m.-noon
Kimball County Fairgrounds 4-H Building
499 S. High School St.
Kimball, NE 69145
Find publications and information on Custom Rates, Yearly, Rate information, Pesticide Safety Education, Chemigation and more.
Cropwatch - Winter Wheat Variety Test Results
Nebraska Farm Custom Rates
Cornhusker Economics - Trends in Nebraska Farmland Values and Rental Rates
Preliminary land values and rental rates are subject to change as additional surveys are returned. Final results from the survey will be published in June 2019 and will be available online via the Nebraska Farm Real Estate website: http://agecon.unl.edu/realestate
Rural Stress and Family Wellness - As one response to the immediate need for attention to stress and suicide prevention in Nebraska, Extension’s Rural Stress and Family Wellness work group has collected resources for farmers and ranchers. You can find the information here.