Holt/Boyd 4-H Pre-Fair Contests and Events
Public Speaking Contest
2017 Summer Workshops
- Summer Workshop Flyer - You will find a link to the Online Google Registration Form on the flyer - we will not take phone calls. Workshops Include: Quilt of Valor, Interview Judging, Table Setting Contest, Modeling, Beef Showmanship, Goat Showmanship, 3D Printing, Rockets, Recycled, 3-D Printing, Horse, and a Clover Kid Workshop.
- ***Parents, Older Siblings, and Leaders who can attend would be greatly appreciated, please let us know if you’re available!
Regional Identification Contest Day
- June 13 - Practice - 10:00am-noon ; Contests - 1:00-3:00pm, Hall County Extension Meeting Rooms, College Park, Grand Island
- Tree Identification Contest includes contestants looking at tree a sample, which consists of a branch with leaves, and picking the correct common name from a list.
- The Weed and Grass Identification Contest includes contestants looking at weed or grass samples and picking the correct common name from a list.
- The Insect Identification Contest will have contestants look at insects and identify them from a list of common names and their insect order.
- The Horticulture Judging Contest consists of three parts. The first is identification of plant material, looking at plant parts, seeds, flowers, or vegetables and deciding what they are from a list of options. The second is a knowledge portion, a true/false or multiple choice quiz. The last portion is judging, just like with livestock, four different plants, plates of vegetables, or flowers are ranked from highest to lowest based on a set of criteria.
- The number of samples identified will depend on the 4-Her’s age.
- The lists of plants can be found at: http://4h.unl.edu/fairbook/plant-science under the contest links
Holt/Boyd Tractor Operators Contest
- July 20, 2017 - 2:30PM - Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- One Contest held in Boyd County Only - For participants of BOTH counties
- 4-H and FFA will participate together.
- To be eligible to drive the course you must have been enrolled in an Ag Class in school this last school year and/or have completed all 4 units of the 4-H Tractor Manual and be at least 12 years old prior to January 1. All ages can take the quiz and complete the practicals but only those youths 12 and older can drive the course.Participants will answer all questions on the quiz, identify incorrect or faulty maintenance and safety items, identify parts, and drive the course.
- Age Divisions will be Senior (14 & Older), Junior (11-13) and Novices (8-10).
- Holt/Boyd Tractor Operator Contest Registration Form ( 2 pages - Due June 26, 2017 - download it to your Adobe Reader and then type into form and submit by email )
Boyd County Small Animal Show
- July 20, 2017 - Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- Dog Show - 5:30PM - Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- Clover Kid Dog Show and Tell will be held prior to 4-H Dog Show
- Potluck Picnic - 6:30PM - Fairgrounds Kitchen, Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- Small Animal Show - 7:00PM - Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- Clover Kid Show and Tell will be held prior to to Show of the same species
- Presentations Contest - 8:00PM - Boyd County Fairgrounds, Spencer
- 2017 Flyer
Pre-Fair Day Information -
- Holt/Boyd Pre-Fair Entry Due Date - June 26
- Holt County Pre-Fair Day - July 12, 2017 at Faith Community Church, Solid Rock Building, O’Neill
- Boyd County Pre-Fair Day - July 13, 2017 at St. Mary's Hall, Spencer, NE
- Information and Forms
- Pre-Fair Letter - 2 pages letter with information about Pre-Fair Day
- Pre-Fair Day Registration Form - 2 page registration for Clover Kid and 4-H members - Clothing Construction, Modeling, Presentations, Table Setting Contest, Talent Contest, and Tractor Driving Contest.
- Fashion Show Narration Form - there are two version of this form - fill out and return either one
- Modeled Shopping In Style Purchased Outfit and Written Report SF184 - doc | pdf
- STEAM Sewing Skills by Level - 389.5 kb pdf file - 2 pages