4-H projects are classic “made in Nebraska” projects. Thank you to all parents/grandparents/guardians, 4-H’ers, volunteers, and businesses who make all this happen! Without volunteers such as Fair Boards, 4-H Council Members, and Superintendents none of this could take place. We appreciate everyone’s involvement and contributions to the Frontier County Fair in Stockville, the Eustis Fair & Corn Show, and the Frontier County 4-H program. Every job/task (big or small) is important to the 4-H program, fairs, our community spirit & to our youth!
1) Nebraska State Fair
2) 4-H Career Portfolio
3) Outstanding 4-H’er Award
4) Outstanding 4-H Leader Awards!
5) Record Book Judges
6) Attention Club Leaders!
7) 2017 National 4-H Week
8) Next 4-H Council Meeting
9) 4-H Achievement Day
10) Financial Committee to Audit 4-H Council Records
11) Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification
13) 2017 AKSARBEN
14) 2017 Fair Dates
15) Don’t Forget to Write Thank You Notes!
16) Club Notes
17) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
1) Congratulations to all the 4-Her’s who will exhibit at the 2017 Nebraska State Fair!! - “There’s No Place Like Nebraska!” is this year’s theme at the Nebraska State Fair. Hope you plan to travel to Grand Island to see our county’s exhibits and to get ideas for next year. Go to http://www.nebraska4hresults.com to get State Fair results. If your family is thinking about attending the 2018 Nebraska State Fair, make your hotel reservations now for next year. You can always cancel a reservation, but it’s hard to reserve rooms close to fair time.
4-H CONTEST / EVENT OPPORTUNITIES
2) 4-H Career Portfolio Record Books Due Sept 30 - Recordkeeping is an important skill. Nebraska 4-H uses the computerized Career Portfolio. CASH Awards & prizes will be given to those 4-Hers who submit a Career Portfolio record book this year. If you need help filling out the Career Portfolio, contact Kathy. Once a 4-H’er starts recording 4-H projects & activities, it will be easy to add to the Portfolio each year. Get started now! (Included in this mailing is the Frontier County Award Application that goes in the front of the Career Portfolio binder & helpful hints when putting your records together.)
3) Outstanding 4-H Member Award - Leaders, do you have someone in your club, you would like to nominate for the Outstanding 4-H’er Award? If you have a senior member or one that has been in 4-H for ten years, you might want to nominate him/her. A nomination form is enclosed that should be turned back into the office by September 30, 2017. The guidelines for this award are:
1. Variety of projects and activities 15%
2. Leadership in passing skills to younger ones 25%
3. Other leadership (community, school, church) 25%
4. Role model for younger 4-H’ers (high moral values) 25%
5. Positive attitude 10%
4) Outstanding 4-H Leader Awards including 4-H Alum, Extra Mile! - 4-H’ers, if you feel your leader is someone others should look up to as an example of showing good leadership, is concerned about the 4-H youth and is supportive of the 4-H program; please nominate them for this award. Consider not only 4-H activities but volunteer activities in the community or church. A nomination form is enclosed that should be turned back into the office by September 30, 2017 for these leadership awards. Make copies of this as needed. One form per nomination. These awards are surprises so make sure no one leaks the word. Awards are presented 4-H Achievement Day held on November 5, 2017, which will be hosted by the Curtis 4-H clubs.
5) Record Book Judges - Anyone wanting to help judge (or learn more about judging) county record books are welcome! Judging and other award selection will take place early October in the evening. Free pizza for those attending. Contact the Extension Office by September 30th, if interested.
6) Attention Club Leaders! - Please fill out and return the Year-end 4-H Club Activity Summary enclosed with this newsletter to the Frontier County Extension Office by September 30, 2017 in the enclosed stamped envelope. Be sure to list all who were project leaders so they are recognized for their services. Thanks for all your efforts this year!
7) 2017 National 4-H Week - will be held October 1-7, 2017. The theme will be “Grow True Leaders.” Make plans now to promote 4-H in your community or school.
4-H COUNCIL NEWS
8) Next 4-H Council Meeting - The next council meeting will be September 18 at 7:30 pm in Curtis. Please contact a 4-H Council member with concerns or suggestions. For their contact information, go to http://go.unl.edu/s6o9.
9) 4-H Achievement Day – November 5, Sunday 4:00pm - Mark your calendars for this year’s Achievement Award program to be in Curtis. Happy Helpers and Medicine Creek Wranglers 4-H Clubs will be hosting. Everyone is invited. More details later.
10) Financial Committee To Audit 4-H Council Records - A financial committee is being formed which will audit 4-H Council records once a year. Anyone with an accounting background or financial interest is welcome to join. Contact office at 308-367-4424 if interested in helping out.
SHOOTING SPORTS NEWS
11) Frontier County Shooting Sports Leaders & upcoming Nebraska 4-H Shooting Sports Leader Certification Workshop – Thank you for teaching our county youth the fun of shooting! There were many great comments from 4-H families! The county can always use more certified leaders. The next certification will be October 14-15, 2017 at Chase County Fairgrounds in Imperial, NE. Volunteers have the opportunity to become certified as an adult (21 years and older) or apprentice (14-20 years old) leader. Workshop participants will learn under expert instruction from members of the Nebraska State
4-H Shooting Sports Training Team. For more workshop information and registration link, go to the 4-H Shooting Sports web page at http://4h.unl.edu/shooting-sports/instructor/, or contact State Shooting Sports Extension Educator Steve Pritchard at (402)395-2158 or (308)536-2691. Please contact Kathy if interested to see what shooting discipline areas the county needs.
LIVESTOCK & SMALL ANIMAL NEWS
12) Catch-a-Lamb 2018 - Due March 1, 2018. Contact the Extension for application.
See rules below:
CATCH-A-LAMB RULES: 4-H’er must be 8, 9, or 10 years old January 1, 2018. Need to enroll in Frontier County 4-H by April 15, 2018. 2018 must be the first year showing a lamb (excluding Clover Kid experience.) Application must be picked up, filled out, and returned to the extension office by March 1, 2018. Lambs MUST be picked up at Sheep Weigh/Tagging Day, Spring 2018. Lamb must be sold and 25% of sale price MUST be returned to the Frontier County 4-H Council.
Judging criteria: 20% record book 4-H F93 submitted on entry day; 20% two letters to program sponsor – one at the beginning thanking the sponsor, and a progress letter to the sponsor (include a story about your project and what you have learned this year about sheep from this lamb.); 20% rate of gain; 20% class placing and/or ribbon (20 pts – purple, 15 pts – blue, 10 pts – red, and 5 pts – white); 20% Showmanship ribbon (20 pts – purple, 15 pts – blue, 10 pts – red, and 5 pts – white).
13) 2017 AKSARBEN Sept 28-October 1, 2017 in Grand Island - Show schedule, programs and judges can be found at: http://www.aksarbenstockshow.com/p/events/359. Additional information can be found at: http://www.aksarbenstockshow.com/.
OTHER 4-H NEWS
14) 2017 Fair Dates
- NE State Fair August 25-September 4, 2017
- AKSARBEN Stock Show Sept 28-October 1, 2017 moved to Grand Island!!
15) Don’t Forget to Write Thank You Notes! The 4-H program is successful because of all the volunteers that give their time and talent. Remember to send thank you notes to those that have helped with 4-H this past year. Livestock exhibitors need to send thank you cards to the buyer(s) that purchased your animals. It is important to say thank you to these people if you want their continued support in future sales.
CLUB LEADER NEWS
16) Club Notes Leaders -- Please use this newsletter as a way to get information out to your members. You need to submit any news to the extension office by the end of the month in order to have it appear in the next newsletter.
17) Upcoming 4-H Events/Important Dates
18 - 4-H Council Meeting– Curtis @ 7:30 pm –Ed Center Rm 129
22-23 - NE 4-H Dog Expo - Hastings
28-Oct 1 - AKSARBEN – Grand Island
29 - Due - 4-H Career Portfolios
29 - Due - 4-H Leader Project Summary & Club Summary
2-6 - National 4-H Week
5 - 4-H Achievement & Annual Meeting @ Curtis
Like us on Facebook Nebraska Extension Frontier County or go to county website at http://extension.unl.edu/statewide/frontier/educational-programs/frontier-county-4-h for more detailed information.